What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought stolen iPad what now?

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...a few weeks back a baggage handler was caught stealing electronics,...

That guy was a TSA employee, not a baggage handler. (Well, I guess he was a baggage "handler" after all. Or baggage groper.)

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be registered with Apple? Couldn't you contact them about the serial number? Surely they could tell you if it belongs to someone else via their records.

OP
M

Mcsmith1963

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought stolen iPad now what

I tried apple, they were no help basically said that they don't get involved with lost or stolen apple items! I text the "owner" because after a day I hadn't heard from him . He said he reported it to the police that was it ! I know if my lost iPad showed up I would be in constant contact with whoever had it. I'm beginning to think this is a scam or one very spoilt guy, he doesn't seem to give a crap!

Rudinater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think this is a scam or one very spoilt guy, he doesn't seem to give a crap!

If it was me I wouldn't give a crap either, I would want to nail the thief, but other then that I would not care. The way I see it, the unit is old and out dated and I probably would have already replaced it by now.

If someone were to contact me about finding it I would probably request their contact information and sent have the police out to check out their story. If their story checked out (like yours) I would probably just ask them to do a reset to clear all the information off of it and then they could keep it.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rudinater said:
If it was me I wouldn't give a crap either, I would want to nail the thief, but other then that I would not care. The way I see it, the unit is old and out dated and I probably would have already replaced it by now.

If someone were to contact me about finding it I would probably request their contact information and sent have the police out to check out their story. If their story checked out (like yours) I would probably just ask them to do a reset to clear all the information off of it and then they could keep it.

And I'd be the complete opposite. I would be in constant contact with the finder.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried apple, they were no help basically said that they don't get involved with lost or stolen apple items! I text the "owner" because after a day I hadn't heard from him . He said he reported it to the police that was it ! I know if my lost iPad showed up I would be in constant contact with whoever had it. I'm beginning to think this is a scam or one very spoilt guy, he doesn't seem to give a crap!

He may have had the iPad insured and already set the collection process in motion. Assuming the iPad is usable, I'd say go forward and forget about it. You've certainly done what can reasonably be expected.

neile45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad 2 64gb was stolen in Pigeon Forge on July 2nd, I am so bummed. I have reported it to the PD there, and I got a police report. I can only hope that the person that end's up buying it (I can only guess that it gets sold), will go thru the hoops you have and tried to contact me.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad 2 64gb was stolen in Pigeon Forge on July 2nd, I am so bummed. I have reported it to the PD there, and I got a police report. I can only hope that the person that end's up buying it (I can only guess that it gets sold), will go thru the hoops you have and tried to contact me.

Did you have 'Find my iPad' service enabled? You could try to locate it....

Tim

neile45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yes, and I did that and sent messages to the ipad. None of them went thru (still, as of today).

I also tried this on my DD ipod touch, and even while connected to the internet, it never went thru. When I went to Apple support, they directed me to reset the setting on the ipod, and of course it started working.

So, I was kind of bummed. It seems like it's a known issue that the setting might have to be reset. Like the thief is going to reset the setting that allows it to be tracked

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But is he/she logs on to the Internet using 3G, their IMEI number (International Mobile Equipment Identity) will be forwarded to the service provider - so it should be possible for it to be identified. If it logs on via WiFi the MAC number (unique Media Access Control) will be forwarded. Don't give up hope and try to see if you can get the law enforcement agencies to use 'technology' to track your iPad.

Tim

yes, and I did that and sent messages to the ipad. None of them went thru (still, as of today).

I also tried this on my DD ipod touch, and even while connected to the internet, it never went thru. When I went to Apple support, they directed me to reset the setting on the ipod, and of course it started working.

So, I was kind of bummed. It seems like it's a known issue that the setting might have to be reset. Like the thief is going to reset the setting that allows it to be tracked

Most reactions

Latest posts