What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens now that i found out my ipad is a stolen one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before I moved, some people walked into my garage and stole some very special OEM racing parts for a 1960 Oldsmobile. These parts truly define the word unique and rare. Not my stuff, they were my brothers. They also stole a new air-compressor and some Snap-On tools.

If I were to find these parts and I could prove they are our parts, I would be out for blood and I do not care what the buyer did, or the money he lost or how much it cost him. I'll get my parts back. I am so pissed when I think of my property in the hands of a family that wont raise or care for these parts property. So I'll disagree with your comments, it matters and it is not too darned bad.

If the iPad was stolen, it might not be a simple theft issue. For all you or I or the OP knows, someone was hurt in the robbery. We do not know either way. And no it is not a Rolex, but so what? I could say, "It is only a $20,000 watch, not a $450,000.00 painting.) Do we still draw lines these days and say "it does not matter; it can be a pack of gum, wrong is wrong." I'll thank the OP for his honesty and his desire to find out what to do. Far too many people would simply keep their yap closed and enjoy the device. Thanks OP.

I didnt mean "too darned bad" for the original owner of stolen property, like you. I just meant that my differing opinion on this might "irk" some people. Bad choice of words. Sorry 'bout that.

Buying secondhand requires due diligence. If you're not up for that, best not to buy that way. If you choose to buy that way, you're agreeing to take on risks -- whether a product fails, is stolen, etc.

Buying secondhand does require diligence. But, are we supposed to run background checks on everything we buy used? If so, then thats quite a hassle. What happened to the simple transaction between two people? Guess those days are gone.

Id also like to see just how anyone can prove that a buyer knew something was stolen. How in the heck do you do that? Hire a mindreader? There wont ever be tangible proof unless the buyer and seller e-mailed or talked on phones and recorded the actual felony step by step. Otherwise, the cops say "You knew this was stolen" I reply "No, I didnt". Now what?

And, if I perform all of the "due dilligence" and later the item turns out to be stolen....am I still out my money? If so, that just wont do. Why should I or the buyer get screwed? Thats the part noone can acceptably explain to me. There is only so much due diligence you can do.

Well, we've gone enough here with this. People just see things differently which is AOK! I hope the OP ends up good in the deal and there is a happy ending here. :)

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recall a recent news story about a fella that discovered some of his stolen property in a local Pawn Shop. He was relieved to find it, but quite upset to learn a few things about the pawn business: the current law requires that the owner of the stolen goods must pay the shop owner for the goods and then the owner can try to recover the money if the crooks are caught.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recall a recent news story about a fella that discovered some of his stolen property in a local Pawn Shop. He was relieved to find it, but quite upset to learn a few things about the pawn business: the current law requires that the owner of the stolen goods must pay the shop owner for the goods and then the owner can try to recover the money if the crooks are caught.

Pawnshop laws vary by jurisdiction.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Wow - Once again...where is the justice? The original owner gets the shaft or the buyer does. The thief walks. I have a problem with this system. Sorry!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And, if I perform all of the "due dilligence" and later the item turns out to be stolen....am I still out my money? If so, that just wont do. Why should I or the buyer get screwed? Thats the part noone can acceptably explain to me. There is only so much due diligence you can do.

Again, those are the risks of buying secondhand. If you buy stuff that's stolen, even unknowingly, who do you think should pay? If you can catch the thief, you can pursue compensation, but that's a long shot. But how would you justify keeping stolen goods? Of course the owner should get the goods back, without paying.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pawnshop laws vary by jurisdiction.

I am sure they do. Here in Utah, however, it seems unfair. Odd that you go to jail for possession of stolen merchandise but the shop owner does not . . . he makes a profit.

I guess if you pick up the item and you have a receipt and the serial numbers match, you would go to jail if you walk out the door. Then again, if you make it out the door, you have proof of ownership and the shop owner does not. Bob does not condone that, just thinking out loud.

To further steal the thread, (and again, just here in Utah) an antiques dealer told me of a law some bonehead wanted to pass that would require antique dealers to have a paper tral for every item they bought. So that 1919 Waterman Fountain Pen could be bought from another person only if the dealer could trace ownership of the pen from from 1919 on.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sure they do. Here in Utah, however, it seems unfair. Odd that you go to jail for possession of stolen merchandise but the shop owner does not . . . he makes a profit.

Yes, it sounds like pawnshop owners in your area have unreasonable clout.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Well, we've gone enough here with this. People just see things differently which is AOK! I hope the OP ends up good in the deal and there is a happy ending here. :)

Suppose you were offered two US gold Double Eagles for three hundred dollars? They range in value from $1500.00 each. You can't track a serial number, but you likely know the proce is too good to be true. Translated, that means stolen.

Suppose I steal your iPad. Who do you want screwed the buyer, Bob the thief or you? I think most people can tell a good deal from a too good to be true deal.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it sounds like pawnshop owners in your area have unreasonable clout.

When I Google the question, apparently, similar laws exist in other places. Not sure it is just a Utah thing, but I do not know.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I Google the question, apparently, similar laws exist in other places. Not sure it is just a Utah thing, but I do not know.

Laws vary, but some are similar. There's at least one national group that represents pawnshop owners, and they teach how to lobby lawmakers, etc. Pawnshops have increasingly become chain businesses, so they carry more clout (including political donations) than they used to.

There also are technicalities in laws, like this one:

Do You Have to Buy Back Your Stolen Property From a Pawn Shop

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Laws vary, but some are similar. There's at least one national group that represents pawnshop owners, and they teach how to lobby lawmakers, etc. Pawnshops have increasingly become chain businesses, so they carry more clout (including political donations) than they used to.

There also are technicalities in laws, like this one:

Do You Have to Buy Back Your Stolen Property From a Pawn Shop

Terribly unfair.

Not sure what I would do if the shop owner did not do the right thing and return my crapola. Perhaps I'll need to find a good attorney who has experience defending disgruntled robbery victims against assault charges, and I guess I will have to learn to love the prison diet.

Apparently, in Utah the laws now apply to pawn shops as well as second hand shops.

I guess I need to become a licensed pawn shop and second hand shop. That way, when you whiny little crime victims learn I am selling your treasured trinkets or your lawnmower, I am fiscally protected.

Smiley!

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Suppose you were offered two US gold Double Eagles for three hundred dollars? They range in value from $1500.00 each. You can't track a serial number, but you likely know the proce is too good to be true. Translated, that means stolen.

Suppose I steal your iPad. Who do you want screwed the buyer, Bob the thief or you? I think most people can tell a good deal from a too good to be true deal.

Well of course Id like to see the thief get screwed but it appears the way its setup now that they have the least chance of getting screwed. They steal it, they sell it, they are now exonerated from the whole process. Unless you know them personally and can prove they had it which is hard to do. It aint right.

As for the gold Eagles - Im more of a silver Eagle guy but we'll let that go for now ;). Well, in that situation, I cant answer what I would do. Id have to be there in the heat of the moment. Its easy for people to say "Oh no, Id call the police, turn them in, etc, etc." Would they REALLY though or are they just saying that to save face on the message boards? Hmmmm.

If you find a $100 bucks on the sidewalk...do you take to the local lost and found? Of course not, you pocket the $100 bucks. I dont want anyone to hate on me for saying this, but its the truth and I suspect most would do the same but they wont say it. Everyone has high morals and ethics - until they get a deal of a lifetime dropped in their lap.

I hear ya though, Bob - Im not a bad guy here, just looking at this from some different angles.

Again, those are the risks of buying secondhand. If you buy stuff that's stolen, even unknowingly, who do you think should pay? If you can catch the thief, you can pursue compensation, but that's a long shot. But how would you justify keeping stolen goods? Of course the owner should get the goods back, without paying.

Sure, in a best case scenario the theif gets caught, the goods are returned to the rightful owner andf the unknowing buyer also gets their money back. Like you said though - a longshot at best and this is where I find things get dicey.

Fair enough, Kay!!!!

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see how you'd return $100 found on the sidewalk unless you saw someone drop it. That's not the same thing as buying stolen property. I think you're reaching.

I think most people are honest, or at least don't want to get involved in something sketchy involving other people's property.

wullie1967

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just youse it don't listen to all this nonsence they won't bother you it happens all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions