What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happens now that i found out my ipad is a stolen one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, i just dont want to lose my money, i dont have the money to be throwing like that in case they keep it and decide that i just go back home without nothing. I mean if it came from a store then i shouldnt be worried? and if it came from a previously owned i should? it wasnt previously owned at all, its brand new.

With all due respect ~ money could be the least of your problems. I think you know what the right thing to do is. You shouldn't be worried if you are 100% innocent in all of this, correct?

Go to Apple, tell the truth, hell, shed a tear or too ~ that shouldn't be too hard! I would be bawlin!

Go do the right thing. You will stop trippin on all this, sleep better at night, and who knows what you will leave with from the Apple store.

Oh ~ as my poor ol gray haired mother used to tell me. "Marie, what have you learned from all this?" I hated when she said that.

One thing for sure ~ your moral compass, as Poet said will be on solid ground.

:)

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Im going to take a different approach here that some may not like but...too darned bad. You paid the money and didnt/couldnt have known. I HATE how all of this theft stuff falls back onto the buyer when we very often have NO way of knowing and its unrealistic to expect people to track every last item for sale down to prove its legality or whatever. Just set it up and enjoy it. Play dumb. Ive bought used items before and I never thought to check out the items history. Its a $500 dollar iPad, not a $20,000 Rolex or diamond ring. C'mon. I read posts that mention the attorney generals and prosecution. Huh? For a $500 dollar ipad? Is that what my local DA and police are doing with their time? I hope not....

I suppose we could argue all day about this, but IMO it is NOT on the buyer if something is in fact stolen. Its on the jerk who stole it. Why do we let the bad guys off the hook and put the burden on the almost always innocent buyers? I hate that! ARGH! :thumbsdown:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im going to take a different approach here that some may not like but...too darned bad. You paid the money and didnt/couldnt have known. I HATE how all of this theft stuff falls back onto the buyer when we very often have NO way of knowing and its unrealistic to expect people to track every last item for sale down to prove its legality or whatever. Just set it up and enjoy it. Play dumb. Ive bought used items before and I never thought to check out the items history. Its a $500 dollar iPad, not a $20,000 Rolex or diamond ring. C'mon. I read posts that mention the attorney generals and prosecution. Huh? For a $500 dollar ipad? Is that what my local DA and police are doing with their time? I hope not....

I suppose we could argue all day about this, but IMO it is NOT on the buyer if something is in fact stolen. Its on the jerk who stole it. Why do we let the bad guys off the hook and put the burden on the almost always innocent buyers? I hate that! ARGH! :thumbsdown:

Buyers who play dumb contribute to the problem of theft. Everyone with common sense knows there are deals that are too good to be true, etc. If buyers were more skeptical and less greedy, they wouldn't contribute to theft and resale.

It doesn't matter how much an item costs; if it's stolen and you know (or suspect) and you take advantage of a "deal," that shows a lack of ethics in my book. That's my opinion and set of values, of course. And laws don't even matter when I weigh whether something is ethical.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Buyers who play dumb contribute to the problem of theft. Everyone with common sense knows there are deals that are too good to be true, etc. If buyers were more skeptical and less greedy, they wouldn't contribute to theft and resale.

It doesn't matter how much an item costs; if it's stolen and you know (or suspect) and you take advantage of a "deal," that shows a lack of ethics in my book. That's my opinion and set of values, of course. And laws don't even matter when I weigh whether something is ethical.

I do agree(and should have stated as such) with the fact that if we get to buy an item for WAY under what we know they sell for and the person we are buying from appears shady then thats one thing. But, if someone say on Craigslist or wherevr is selling something for what appears to be a reasonable price, am I supposed to still try and track down the items history? At what point can we or should we let the buyer off the hook? A certain price level? Onyl certain items? Thats why this is such a can of worms to open and deal with. Pricing and value are subjective in most cases. Maybe Im seeling my iPad due to financial strain and I need a quick sale. What about that?

I dunno - I still say that except for obviously super low prices, there is no way a buyer can or should be the one holding the bag with these deals. How the heck is that fair? Like I said, it takes the burden off the real crooks, IMO. Oh well.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will post it again if you get charged with a felony and it could happen, the cost of and Attorney and the long slow process of being dragged through the court system is a really true HIGH price to pay.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do agree(and should have stated as such) with the fact that if we get to buy an item for WAY under what we know they sell for and the person we are buying from appears shady then thats one thing. But, if someone say on Craigslist or wherevr is selling something for what appears to be a reasonable price, am I supposed to still try and track down the items history? At what point can we or should we let the buyer off the hook? A certain price level? Onyl certain items? Thats why this is such a can of worms to open and deal with. Pricing and value are subjective in most cases. Maybe Im seeling my iPad due to financial strain and I need a quick sale. What about that?

I dunno - I still say that except for obviously super low prices, there is no way a buyer can or should be the one holding the bag with these deals. How the heck is that fair? Like I said, it takes the burden off the real crooks, IMO. Oh well.

The idea that anything can be sold in a desperation sale is a convenient way of playing dumb, IMO. If I were buying, I'd ask plenty of questions (and ask for docs, receipts, etc., when reasonable) and use my judgment; if I suspected theft, I'd pass on buying. And there's no letting off the crooks by buying or not buying from them. Presumably, your ethics are separate from the thief's. At least I know mine are, lol.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The idea that anything can be sold in a desperation sale is a convenient way of playing dumb, IMO. If I were buying, I'd ask plenty of questions (and ask for docs, receipts, etc., when reasonable) and use my judgment; if I suspected theft, I'd pass on buying. And there's no letting off the crooks by buying or not buying from them. Presumably, your ethics are separate from the thief's. At least I know mine are, lol.

Sure - like I said, if I truly "smell a rat" then thats one thing. But if it seems good and the seller seems legit and the item turns out stolen.... I should "ethically" just accept being screwed and lose my money? No way, at that point Ill just do what I can to keep the product and at least try and use it. You are being very black and white on this issue and just assuming that every low-priced item automatically means theft was involved. If thats the case then whats the point of the used market for anything? It all "must" be stolen since the prices are lower(sometimes considerably) than new items. Its not convenient to site desperation as a reason to sell something cheap. What do you think happens at many auctions? Its low priced items that are priced low to sell quickly. people get in jams all the time for various reasons. Job loss, health care problems, you name it. Ya gotta give people the benefit of the doubt until you know the real story.

lastly Id like to bring up actual pricing: Is there a price "guide" we should use for used goods so we can weed out the stolen stuff? Whats an iPad really worth on the used market? Who sets the prices? Who polices the pricing? Who has the final say if it comes down to it? Remember, value is in the eye of the wallet holder. If I "think" a used ipad is only worth $50 bucks then thats all Im willing to pay for it. There are no guides. Prices will be all over the map on stuff like this. Its impossible to set prices.

I guess I just feel bad for the likely zillions of buyers that really had no idea what was going on and are now being treated as felons or told "you should have spent 4 months researching the serial number of this item before buying it blah, blah blah..." by the ethics police. That cant be right...... Ah well.

We can agree to somewhat disagree on this issue.

Last edited:

windowman62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is called recieving stolen merchandise, which is against the law, PERIOD!
Check with the store or cops and turn the guy in before you get in trouble.

If somebody sold me something HOT I would!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
People buy and sell iPads and iPods all the time. The ones that are out the box are the ones to be worried about as those may have belonged to someone. So it would be different if it came out of somebody's house, car, bag, etc. then it would register as stolen. So take it to a Apple store and if they tell you it's stolen tell them you got it online or through one of those pop ups that always seem to have the iDevices cheap. (Good luck. I'm not responsible for the advice I just gave, and I won't be held responsible for what happens in any way.)

I disagree. If you ever, EVER get caught up in a problem like this, always get your story on the record. Do not let the authorities start asking why you did not tell the truth.

You can do nothing and keep the device, but that is wrong, or you can call Apple with the device serial number and ask a few questions, and that is the right thing to do. I think you should call or email Apple directly and tell them your tale. Ask them if they can find out if the device is hot or not. If they say no, keep a copy of your email to and from Apple. The Apple wonk that answered your mail could be wrong or perhaps to get rid of you, he or she just tells you, it is not stolen.

Frankly, I would not trust an Apple store employee because you never know what can happen. For example, they call the police or keep the unit.

If you do make an inquiry, do the right thing and tell the truth if asked. Do not make up a story. You want to be on the record in case this thing comes back to bite you. Perhaps the thief implicates you or perhaps the seller is part of a larger ring and the police have been looking for leads. Thieves often toss people over the side of the boat to save themselves and you just do not know what can happen. Especially if this thief is part of a bigger story.

You bought the device in good faith and you think it is hot and you want to do the right thing. Do not screw yourself by getting caught in a little fib. Learn the lesson and take the loss. Perhaps Apple will feel sorry for you and rewards you for your honesty.

I am a paranoid old sot about this sort of thing. I am not a lawyer, but apparently you suspect it is stolen and mere possession can get you in trouble. Especially with a hot product (Are iPads still hot these days). If I were a cop, I might not listen to your excuses because you should know that a cheap iPad in a box, unopened (right?) would not be sold at a deep discount.

But that is just me. I have lived long enough to know sometimes decent and innocent people are caught up in something that quickly goes very bad. I know a simple and innocent thing can grow and become very serious. What if this person you bought the device from stole it during a robbery in which someone was hurt or killed? But that is just me, a true paranoid. You need to sort this out now.

So . . . You are not sure if the device will be discovered when you sync. You posted here asking for help because you are concerned and now there is a record of our conversation. There are penalties associated with receiving stolen property. Lots of problems, you now think. Do yourself a favor and clear this up today. Otherwise, you will be sad and stuck with a device you really cannot use and you will fear every knock at the door or every police car that drives down your street.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Before I moved, some people walked into my garage and stole some very special OEM racing parts for a 1960 Oldsmobile. These parts truly define the word unique and rare. Not my stuff, they were my brothers. They also stole a new air-compressor and some Snap-On tools.

If I were to find these parts and I could prove they are our parts, I would be out for blood and I do not care what the buyer did, or the money he lost or how much it cost him. I'll get my parts back. I am so pissed when I think of my property in the hands of a family that wont raise or care for these parts property. So I'll disagree with your comments, it matters and it is not too darned bad.

If the iPad was stolen, it might not be a simple theft issue. For all you or I or the OP knows, someone was hurt in the robbery. We do not know either way. And no it is not a Rolex, but so what? I could say, "It is only a $20,000 watch, not a $450,000.00 painting.) Do we still draw lines these days and say "it does not matter; it can be a pack of gum, wrong is wrong." I'll thank the OP for his honesty and his desire to find out what to do. Far too many people would simply keep their yap closed and enjoy the device. Thanks OP.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sure - like I said, if I truly "smell a rat" then thats one thing. But if it seems good and the seller seems legit and the item turns out stolen.... I should "ethically" just accept being screwed and lose my money? No way, at that point Ill just do what I can to keep the product and at least try and use it. You are being very black and white on this issue and just assuming that every low-priced item automatically means theft was involved. If thats the case then whats the point of the used market for anything? It all "must" be stolen since the prices are lower(sometimes considerably) than new items. Its not convenient to site desperation as a reason to sell something cheap. What do you think happens at many auctions? Its low priced items that are priced low to sell quickly. people get in jams all the time for various reasons. Job loss, health care problems, you name it. Ya gotta give people the benefit of the doubt until you know the real story.

lastly Id like to bring up actual pricing: Is there a price "guide" we should use for used goods so we can weed out the stolen stuff? Whats an iPad really worth on the used market? Who sets the prices? Who polices the pricing? Who has the final say if it comes down to it? Remember, value is in the eye of the wallet holder. If I "think" a used ipad is only worth $50 bucks then thats all Im willing to pay for it. There are no guides. Prices will be all over the map on stuff like this. Its impossible to set prices.

I guess I just feel bad for the likely zillions of buyers that really had no idea what was going on and are now being treated as felons or told "you should have spent 4 months researching the serial number of this item before buying it blah, blah blah..." by the ethics police. That cant be right...... Ah well.

I read about a guy who bought a rifle 30 years ago, he needed some cash and took it to a pawn shop this year. They ran a check on it and found it had been reported stolen.
Problem is they can't find the guy who reported it stolen, so it must remain in the police property room until he is found.
And he might never be found so what it really means is he is out of luck.
So much for buying items that you don't know much about.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Buying secondhand requires due diligence. If you're not up for that, best not to buy that way. If you choose to buy that way, you're agreeing to take on risks -- whether a product fails, is stolen, etc.

BobPhillips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would sims phone Apple. Explain the story, and say you have been told (no proof yet) that it may have been stolen. They will be able to check.
If not, worry over and enjoy.
If it is, call the police and report this guy.

Next time ask for receipts, get the serial no and check it out before parting with any cash. That's what I did last month, got the serial no and checked it out. I also insisted on the original receipt..

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts