What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What happened to my iMovie?

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just looking at a "New" iPad review, which mentioned iMovie. I thought, "oh, I have that." ... but I see now that I don't - I guess after the 5.0.1 & Jb Updates. I looked at it on the Apple store, and inteed, it has an "install" button, but won't without an upgrade to 5.1

I bought and paid for it and would be glad to still have an earlier version, but it looks like Apple has screwed me out of it. (Their punishment for my Jailbreaking ??)

I looked for some other comments similar to mine, but didn't see any. Any ideas about any of this... anyone?

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple have updated all their iLife and iWork apps to be 5.1 only. If you had had the last version installed you could of course still use it.

You'll just have to wait for the 5.1 JB.

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya, I didn't notice that it was missing after 4.3.3 which is where I last came from. Oh well... there might be something else (although I suppose this hints at how important it was to me). Thanks, FB

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never recommend this personally, but you can hack these apps onto 5.0.1 using the methods described in this thread - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/67198-help-iphoto.html

Just remember, the apps were compiled against 5.1 and may therefore not operate correctly if you "force install" them on 5.0.1. If you choose to do the hack, you do so at your own risk :)

OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read through a post further up the list, which deals with that issue and something else that I don't understand. Thanks for the info, but I'm going to stay on the safe side of this one. I just cringe when I read about the poor folks who unwittingly made bad choices like that and are now suffering the bland consequences.

Gzoladz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont you have by any chance the previous version of imovie backed up in your itunes? If you do you can installthe previous version from there.

There is another work around but it is against the rules to discuss.

Last edited:
OP
Bingoldsby

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dont you have by any chance the previous version of imovie backed up in your itunes? If you do you can installthe previous version from there.

There is another work around but it is against the rules to discuss.

I'll have to look into that. I don't look at iTunes much anymore. It would have been the version for 4.3.3 - and not sure if it will function on 5.0.1. In fact, I had suspected that it is not installed now because of a gross incompatibility, but also not sure of that. I was hoping for some information from here on that aspect, before doing anything else. Thanks for the suggestion.

[[ EDIT ]] Ok, after opening iTunes, plugging in the iPad, and looking around a bit, I discovered that iMovie and a couple of other apps I have purchased/installed along the way on the previous version, were still there but no checks in their boxes. I wen't through and selected those then did a sync. iMovie is now back and, at the least, opens properly. Once again, thanks for that hint.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts