What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading 7.0.4 Evasi0n to 7.1.2 PanGu

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an iPad 2 3G and an iPad Air WiFi both on 7.0.4 JB'd with evasi0n.

I happened to hear that iOS 8 is due this week so I thought I'd come and visit to see what happening in the JB community, only to find that a JB is available for 7.1.x with PanGu! Sounds good.

I've read Willerz's tutorial and it looks pretty straight forward. What about hack compatibility? I cant see any mention of 7.1.2 in the list of awesome hacks? What has the experience been with the upgrade with PanGu?

Should I do a 'clean' upgrade & JB? (i.e. restore to factory 7.1.2. before PanGu - then restore from backup?)
Or am I OK to upgrade to 7.1.2. from 7.0.4 in itunes then JB with PanGu? What will happen to my hacks after the upgrade to 7.1.2 and before the JB?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The maturity level of 7.1.2 is at a point where it's reasonable to upgrade to 7.1.2 as most tweaks that broke because of the 7.1.2 update has been updated for support. When upgrading a jailbroken device, always restore the device, never update the device. Preferably, DFU restore the device to ensure that the built-in mechanism for update prevention is not triggered, or it will give you error messages on iTunes, which you can bypass by placing the device into DFU mode prior to restoring.

OP
Kenilik

Kenilik

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks willerz... followed your advice & tutorial... backed up 7.0.4 - restored to 7.1.2 - PanGu'd the JB - reinstalled my hacks - and restored the backup. Not a single problem.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that Iconoclasm even detected that it had been restored and asked me if I wanted to revert to my pre-upgrade icon layout - Brilliant!!!

Why oh why didn't Pangu wait until after iOS8 and release their JB then!!

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks willerz... followed your advice & tutorial... backed up 7.0.4 - restored to 7.1.2 - PanGu'd the JB - reinstalled my hacks - and restored the backup. Not a single problem.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that Iconoclasm even detected that it had been restored and asked me if I wanted to revert to my pre-upgrade icon layout - Brilliant!!!

Why oh why didn't Pangu wait until after iOS8 and release their JB then!!

Iconoclasm uses IconSupport, which backs up its configurations with your iTunes backup, which is REALLY handy if you've completely thrown the stock format out the window with Iconoclasm, Gridlock, etc so you won't have to manually redo the setup from scratch.

iOS 7.1 and 7.1.1 introduced a few patches that were deemed crucial through their eyes. However, they also stated that they've already held off a few other vulnerabilities for iOS 8. The current Pangu technically can still jailbreak iOS 8 when tweaked a little, but since there's no support for Cydia Substrate which 9 out of 10 packages depend on either directly or indirectly, it's not worth jailbreaking iOS 8 unless you plan to play around with development.

Most reactions