What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS Drive on iPad WiFi

Loxem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question.
Can i use MotionX GPS Drive HD application on iPad WiFi or i need iPad 3G to use GPS???

Star56

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While you can use it on the wifi ipad the accuracy will be severely limited. Only the 3G models have a built in GPS receiver.

iPadPil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While you can use it on the wifi ipad the accuracy will be severely limited. Only the 3G models have a built in GPS receiver.

I have the travel Cradlepoint 350 broadband router connected to my Verizon UM175 USB modem. Do you think this will work? This set up works great with my iPad 32GB WiFi.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team

I have the travel Cradlepoint 350 broadband router connected to my Verizon UM175 USB modem. Do you think this will work? This set up works great with my iPad 32GB WiFi.

It will give you internet, but not your location.

If you pass by a hotspot that is known to spyhook it will know your general area but I wouldnt count on using any GPS apps.

You can however get a bluetooth GPS reciever and use it with the ipad wifi if its jailbroken. Add GPS to your jailbroken WiFi iPad with BTstack GPS

iPadPil

iPF Noob
Reaction score

It will give you internet, but not your location.

If you pass by a hotspot that is known to spyhook it will know your general area but I wouldnt count on using any GPS apps.

You can however get a bluetooth GPS reciever and use it with the ipad wifi if its jailbroken. Add GPS to your jailbroken WiFi iPad with BTstack GPS

Well, in my iPad Google Maps asks me if I want my location shown and by replying yes, pinpoints right to my house. Keep in mind that I have the Verizon USB modem which is a 3G broadband data plan @ $59.95/month (5GB).

Fooch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you think it will work tethered to a droid? I currently have my droid rooted and it acts as a wifi hot spot to connect the iPad through. You think navi will work with that? I don't want to spend the money on a navigation app just to find out it won't work.

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried and MotionX GPS Drive HD won't even install on an iPad WiFi. However, MotionX GPS HD will, but it doesn't give you driving directions. Depending on the WiFi systems in your area, it can be very accurate or only mildly accurate. You're actual position is usually somewhere on the map it brings up though. You do not actually need to be connected to a WiFi network if you loaded the map area in advance.

Last edited:

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS and a there'd WiFi only iPad

I'm travelling cross-country with my WiFi only 64gb iPad tethered to my Sorint Touch Pro 2 and was surprised that even when driving the maps program can find my location pretty well. Not perfectly all the time, but pretty good.

I'm not sure how this works - does the maps program use the phone's built-in GPS, or does it locate the WiFi signal? Anyone know? Whar I DO know ips thare it generally works. Not sure if it works on a Droid, but on my Win Mobile 6.5 it works.

Larry

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm travelling cross-country with my WiFi only 64gb iPad tethered to my Sorint Touch Pro 2 and was surprised that even when driving the maps program can find my location pretty well. Not perfectly all the time, but pretty good.

I'm not sure how this works - does the maps program use the phone's built-in GPS, or does it locate the WiFi signal? Anyone know? Whar I DO know ips thare it generally works. Not sure if it works on a Droid, but on my Win Mobile 6.5 it works.

Larry

It accesses a database of stored wifi networks and their location to locate you. Google got into trouble recently from collecting more than the wifi network and it's location. How does it work in really remote locations?

LDBecker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS in remote locations

Rkelac,

To be honest it's maybe fair to good... If I have a great 3G signal (Sprint) it's just fine, but often in remote locations the signal is 1x, and maybe not full bars. At that point I'm just happy/surprised that the WiFi router is working at all. But in big cities it seems pretty good.

Sorry for the delayed answer - was driving all day, made it home. 5,368.3 miles in 2 weeks is a bit much. The things we do for our kids... (and would do again in a heartbeat if needed!).

Larry

Most reactions

Latest posts