What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think you'll use your iPad for?

boogoyle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha, it's hard to say. As more and more apps come out, the possibilities will be endless! who knows what the future holds for the ipad user...

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided to post again on this thread because, after a few months' use, I have a better idea as to what I will use my iPad for.

I will continue using it for my emails and communications. I will continue with the forums, and for surfing the internet. I am continuing to use it as a great photo album.

IPad works so quickly and effortlessly for the above tasks. Only once have I stretched its memory ot the limit where it was likely to crash, and I was advised to reboot.

I intend to use the above qualities, along with a limited set of apps to help with my family history. Two of us have tried to stir up interest in a thread titles Family History, but no takers, et. perhaps this was because we were using the tao]il to wag the dog!

The portability of iPad and accessories makes it great to use in record offices, or in the field. The speed and simplicity with which apps can be opened are a plus for working in the field.

I have a family tree application on board, and my family tree is loaded up and can be edited on site, without the need for an internet connection.

I use Pages and Numbers apps. The latter is perfect for holding repetitive records, which can be added to in an ordered fashion. The Documents and Spreadsheets are compatible with mainstream applications, and easily transferrable to a PC.

I intend to put my ancestors' photographs into an an organiser application, iFiles, where I can set up folder trees to keep portraits grouped by family. I will be able to show family the photos, suitably annotated with names, on iPad, without looking at fragile and fading originals.

As far as I can see, I am scratching at the surface, and the versatility of ipAd and suitable apps will ope more doors and spread the scope in making Family history more accessible to family and friends, and a more enjoyable experience than it already is.

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

hookandloop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hookandloop.com
I was wondering the same thing - Will I really use it all that much since I am on computer all day at work - what can I use my iPad for versus my Laptop? Will I then not need my laptop? Too many electronic items to choose from

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hookandloop said:
I was wondering the same thing - Will I really use it all that much since I am on computer all day at work - what can I use my iPad for versus my Laptop? Will I then not need my laptop? Too many electronic items to choose from

It really depends on what you use your laptop for, since I got my iPad my MacBook just sits all alone in the corner of the room and as more and more apps become available my laptop becomes more and more redundant. I also have my iPad on my desk at work alongside my computer, I find it convenient for task and calendar management (Smart Pad) and marking up documents (GoodReader). I find that being able to take the iPad from room to room and site to site it is just so much more useful, so much so that I now hardly use Outlook at all. If there was a more reliable MS Office compatible app I would hardly use my work computer either and I am sure that it's only a matter of time (most of our office documents are heavily formatted) but I do use the Office To PDF app for conversion to PDF so that I can then Mark up the documents as needed.

The Archangel

RogerT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
goo.gl
Mainly for read, but it is my mobile office ;). I use my iPad for manage my company, mobile marketing.

v0n

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my ipad for news updates, checking emails, listening to the radio, watching movies, playing games, reading magazines, and for chatting (including F/T)

bowman134

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use it alot at work. I usually can't secure a computer at work, so with pages and the outlook app I have, it's great

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bowman134 said:
I use it alot at work. I usually can't secure a computer at work, so with pages and the outlook app I have, it's great

When we all moved into new offices, we had to share workstations. No one liked it, also our employer brought in an unpopular clear desk policy where we had to put any papers books etc into tiny personal lockers each evening.

I'm glad I'm away from that culture. It wasn't healthy for a hoarder like me    

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't buy my iPad2 for game playing, but I've spent so much of my life in airports and on airplanes that I sure wish I'd had this thing years ago. It makes killing time a fine art.

vushnick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.davidmiles.us
Hey all! Just got my iPad last week and I love it! It's so nice to do all of the browsing rss feeds and web browsing away from my desk. I don't feel tied down any more!

Anyway, this weekend I baked a killer cake for my sister and the iPad was a perfect companion! The Epicurous app is wonderful for browsing recipes and reading reviews on anything under the sun (I think it's free as well with occasional ads). So I had that set up on the counter next to me for browsing while I worked. I also used Pandora to stream a radio station to my stereo via the Airport express! I love it!

Next I'd like to take my show on the road and head to the library or bookstore to do some writing and sketching. I've downloaded Evernote for the Ipad and love that I can write, write, write on my iPad and then sync with the Evernote cloud so that it will be available to me on my desktop as well. I'd also like to do sketches in my moleskine and use the iPad camera to add them to my evernote scripts (I realize I can sketch on the iPad but there's something nice about having that hand drawn legacy to pass on to future generations).

Any other artists out there enjoying their iPads?
I'm also enjoying and looking forward too..
-awesome games for the iPad (Asphalt 6 is so fun!)
-reading books with the e-reader (I've found a ton of great art books in pdf form online)
-Netflix in bed!
-color sketching in Sketchbook Pro to later bring into photoshop to finish up for work.

Yeah!

knuckles1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far my IPad 2 is useful for web surfing, reading news (the Flipbook app is superb for this), games for my kids, and streaming movies. In winter I'll try it out as a sled and snowball deflector. 8)

gotipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
use it alot

I use my ipad to keep track of my TO Do list, shopping list, I record my expenses and then look at the charts to keep track, I Journal, and mostly I play games on it as i sit and wait at the doctors office or dentists office or whereever I have to wait.

dusty333

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will use it when I go camping and riding my ATV. Watch movies, videos and read at camp. When around the house use it to play games and run different apps.[/QUOTE

how do i set it up to connect to the internet.i am a newbee and have now idea how to start the internet or get a service provider.it says zoom but does not connect.nice to meet you.
Ralph (dusty333)

Most reactions

Latest posts