What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think you'll use your iPad for?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use mine for entertainment and business. Ebook reading and watching movies (music) and of course talking to you guys.

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used mine (iPad 1) email, some web surfing, twitter, RSS reader, some light gaming, and watching movies/videos... it's also my Bible, my bookshelf and my remote control for my DirecTV receivers/DVRs... in short, I use it for almost everything... it's great with traveling and is light enough and small enough to stick in my backback and take it where ever I go. Now I used mine (iPad 2) use the FaceTime feature a lot with my kids.

sandeep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Compare to laptop it is very convenient and easy to carry i will use mainly for entertainment purpose like playing the games and browse the internet.

barlowbrian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beryl said:
Gmail works nicely. Calendar and addresses (as Exchange) sync well also. I never use ISPs because I may change services.

I have set my ipad email with Gmail and my sky account, i also had it set up for my work to which i recieved all my works mail from, i use drawings in my work and it makes it very easy to use, however i am keen to get the ipad 2 that will enable me to contact the family via skype as i stay away from home each week

watchlabber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WatchLAB Studios, a leading market research firm is conducting paid 1-hour interviews for people who use creative or art applications on their mobile device. These interviews are taking place in San Francisco in the upcoming weeks.

If you reside in the SF/Bay Area and would like to participate, please email [email protected] with the specific names of all creative/art applications you currently use on your mobile device, as well as the best contact # and time to reach you. We’ll phone you within 24 hours to ask you a few additional qualifying questions.
Thank you for your interest!

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<snip> i am keen to get the ipad 2 that will enable me to contact the family via skype as i stay away from home each week

I did not realize that you could not get Skype on the original iPad. I use it extensively on my laptop for work, and never even thought to try it on my iPad. Interesting. I wonder why it is not available for the original iPad? I am sure there must be a thread on that - I'll search it when I have a few minutes to spare.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<snip> i am keen to get the ipad 2 that will enable me to contact the family via skype as i stay away from home each week

I did not realize that you could not get Skype on the original iPad. I use it extensively on my laptop for work, and never even thought to try it on my iPad. Interesting. I wonder why it is not available for the original iPad? I am sure there must be a thread on that - I'll search it when I have a few minutes to spare.

There is no problem using Skype on the original iPad - I use it every day. It just doesn't have video from the iPad to the other end of the link, though if the other end has video you'll see that OK on the iPad.

It's an iPhone app, but runs just fine - though a bit small - on the iPad

Tim

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no problem using Skype on the original iPad - I use it every day. It just doesn't have video from the iPad to the other end of the link, though if the other end has video you'll see that OK on the iPad.

OH, that would be OK then. I don;t use video on Skype anyway. I hate cams. Everyone looks like they are in a fishbowl looking out.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
if the other end has video you'll see that OK on the iPad.

Thanks! I didn't know that part so deleted it on my 64GB iPad. I'll reinstall.

The app runs nicely on my iPod Touch 4G although FaceTime is much better between the Apple devices. I now wonder if there is any way an iPad 1 can use FaceTime without the video portion. As much as a camera appeals to me, I'm not quite ready to upgrade.

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded I swifter but everytime I went to use the browser it would pop up with some in app purchase. So I would hit cancel and every single time I typed in a web address it would pop back up...I almost throw my iPad across the room

Aladyleyna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sandeep said:
Compare to laptop it is very convenient and easy to carry i will use mainly for entertainment purpose like playing the games and browse the internet.

This is actually the main reason why I like the iPad so much as well. It's so much more convenient than carrying a laptop around all the time in addition to the laptop charger as well. And for some reason, I find it a lot more fun surfing the Internet on the iPad than on a laptop too.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Evelyn.TME

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad is my college companion. I use it to replace notebooks and take handwritten notes digitally instead now. This is super convenient for sharing with a classmate that missed class that day because I don't have to photocopy anything or exchange physical notebooks, I just email them a copy. And the size is perfect. I found a purse that it fits in so I carry it with me everywhere. The mini netbook thing I had tried to use before just couldn't compare.

I also have been finding textbooks to use on my iPad and since I'm a science major, the textbooks are usually very thick and very heavy. Being able to get them on my iPad reduces a great deal of that heartache and back pain (which includes financial pain, they're so expensive to use for just a few months, but e-versions usually cost less).

Additionally, I use the email sync, calendar, todo lists, internet, and facebook the most. I have a few little games on it but I don't want to get too distracted from my school work (facebook does that enough as it is). I also download awesome apps and tinker with them fairly regularly, sometimes stumbling on really useful things, other times I just learn something new and neat.

I imagine that I would use it for movies and music once I start traveling again. Perhaps even put a few more games on it for that. But for now, it's been a pretty awesome investment.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts