What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think about iPad at School?

STEVSH

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My daughter's elementary school that she will be starting this fall is working on getting Ipads in for the Kindergartners on up! Being the techy freak that I am, this is why I chose this school. They are not afraid to move forward and embrace this quickly changing world.

istudentipads

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is great for schools! It enables students to quickly research something thats being discussed without interrupting the flow of a lesson - it enables quick note taking and acts as several devices combined - a voice recorder, web browser, note pad, camera, language lab, video player, book reader etc etc

newfoundtech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very useful during classes where professors just teach like there's no tomorrow saying different things from their presentation. Many apps allow the user to record the lecture at the same time jot down notes. Surfing the web also becomes easy

brian_casey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My only concern with the iPad as a learning device would be students losing literary skills. The information presented on an iPad comes quickly and I don't think it affords them the chance to really think about what it means and to make connections to other knowledge.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My only concern with the iPad as a learning device would be students losing literary skills. The information presented on an iPad comes quickly and I don't think it affords them the chance to really think about what it means and to make connections to other knowledge.

Nonsense.

Learning is not limited to the rate that some archaic content delivery system provides.

Do teachers have to teach differently to keep today's students challenged? Absolutely.

That has little or nothing to do with whether they are using an iPad or any other advanced teaching technology.

tylerd1994

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From a students prospective, I don't feel I need an Ipad for school work. I feel much more comfortable with a laptop. But it is a VERY handy tool for our teachers to have, they put up all of our notes and powerpoints etc. on smartboards with it. I find it much better than the oldschool way of doing things over a projector.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
brian_casey said:

I connect my iPad to a projector and use the annotation features of one of my apps when conducting an analysis of the literary aspects of works of fiction in class.

Students can do the same and and use an annotation app to highlight texts and type notes in the margins as well. Students can also reread the same text without annotations and compare and contrast their understanding of a text at different times, which is another added benefit.

billtownson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just at the start of the process, need to get and see ipads in a school working. I am using one at school, trialing loads of stuff as Head of IT. Looking at using a company to run a 6 week trial for a group and then see. Any schools in Essex, east London using iPads? Would love to visit and see how they are used and implemented. Ta

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
billtownson said:
Just at the start of the process, need to get and see ipads in a school working. I am using one at school, trialing loads of stuff as Head of IT. Looking at using a company to run a 6 week trial for a group and then see. Any schools in Essex, east London using iPads? Would love to visit and see how they are used and implemented. Ta

Too bad you cannot fly over here to Fort Wayne, Indiana. Starting this school year, the East Allen School District has distributed iPads for use in the classroom. They spent the summer months on school break getting ready. If you wish, PM me and I'll find someone on the project who would be willing to discuss their implementation.

iPadIssues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a college student and I bought an iPad in mid-September. I have to say, this thing has really changed the game for me. There are many days when it's the only thing I bring to school with me. Today was a perfect example of one of those days. Pre-loaded the power points for my classes onto it, and annotated them while the professor drew things on the board to explain the slides. Listened to music and played games to pass the time during breaks in between classes. I checked my school email account within seconds as opposed to the minutes it would take to do it on my laptop. Took more notes in my next class. I never thought writing with a stylus could be so practical. It doesn't slow me down at all and my digital handwriting looks identical to my handwriting on paper. Everything i write can also be backed up to Dropbox just like that. I was also able to skim through the assigned reading Because all of my school textbooks are on it. This is why Apple is the most successful company in the world; it has changed the way that people live.

iPadIssues

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me add by the way that the iPad is in no way necessary for school. I got my A's the old-fashioned way long before I got one of these
;)

I will say that it makes things easier all-around. I don't have to carry around 30 pounds of textbooks anymore. Everything I need is all in one place. Besides all that, it's just really fun to use! Can it improve things? Absolutely.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The issue of textbook size and weight for those who take public transportation is a significant one.

One of my students takes photos of the textbook pages she needs for a specific class session and I taught her how to group them using the Photo app. Our textbook is just huge and she is ecstatic about being able to leave it at home.

I scanned the textbook and transferred it to my iPad some time ago. Then I told her about the Notability app I use and now she's ditched all her paper notebooks.

Her physical load, like mine, has lightened a lot.

haagendasz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys, I am a noob in the Apple world ...

Could you please tell me if there is a good apps for my Ipad to teach my son how to read and maybe learn something ... he is 3 years old and he loves to watch the ipad when i use it

Reaction score
My spanish teacher wants me to bring my ipad to school because I found a translator app she needs and I know a lot about technology.

Most reactions