What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you least like about iPad?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only item I fully agree with is the lack of a clarified accessable file system. But having tinkered with sytems for 20 years now it's rather a relief not having to. I can happily live with it's limitations.

Btw I'm really impressed with Zumocast being able to quickly access all docs, music and videos from my server (including mkv's).

psmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
-No organizing ebooks in the ibooks app

What do you mean? Folders for authors?? That is true. But you can put your books in any order you want but holding down on the tile and just moving it where you want it, in a sense, organizing it. I would love to have a folders option where I can have a different folder for every author.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
***Will STILL have to do this even after 4.2 is released, since Apple's "multitasking" isn't multitasking at all, but rather app pausing. Multitasking would allow a youtube video to buffer or even play in the background when I am browsing the web.

I was wondering this myself. I won't be able to listen to my radio app and cruise on line? Or do anything else?

0 Man.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering this myself. I won't be able to listen to my radio app and cruise on line? Or do anything else?

0 Man.
Kinda maybe... Some radio apps let you play them in the background right now, even with the current iOS, by playing through the QuickTime player.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, you guys seem unhappy; makes me wonder why you bought iPads at all... ;)

A webcam is about the only thing I'd really like, other than that I've found it to be pretty much perfect for my needs <shrug>

Pete

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Pete

Probably because the good ultimately outweighed the bad. I'm sure you can critique just about anything you own and come up with a list of wishes for it. I actually think this kind of discussion is helpful in the end because it breeds innovation and encourages the company to not rest on their laurels.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

A webcam is about the only thing I'd really like, other than that I've found it to be pretty much perfect for my needs <shrug>

Pete

This is a discussion board. People are discussing. I seen no complaining per se'.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
***Will STILL have to do this even after 4.2 is released, since Apple's "multitasking" isn't multitasking at all, but rather app pausing. Multitasking would allow a youtube video to buffer or even play in the background when I am browsing the web.

0 Man.
As long as the app is updated for iSO4 you will be fine. I stream radio in the background all the time on my iPhone 4. Considering most apps are already updated for iOS4 I think it is safe to say November will only be better.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as it not being true multi-tasking, it is for processes that need it. I am happy having audio and other types of apps such as GPS running in the background.

But I don't want every app I happen to launch to be churning through CPU cycles in the background. I only care about apps that need to do something in the background, and for the most part, that is exactly what iOS4 does.

The YouTube example is one where I don't want it to continue when I switch to another app. But I would like to leave it and when I come back have it return to where I left off. Oh wait, it already does that on iOS4 on my iPhone 4;).

More importantly, that YouTube example made it seem as if apps cannot download in the background: they CAN. DropBox app for example, if you leave it while it is downloading or uploading it will continue to do so in the background. What more do you need it to do?

Now what if you were using a recipe app, and wanted to go visit a web page or do some other task. What you most likely want is to go back to the recipe you were on. And that is what they do, at least if iOS4-ready (the ones I have are). No need for it to be "doing" anything in the background. Just need it to come back where you left off.

Other examples are social networking apps, geolocation apps, and more.

Heck I have ReelDirector on my iPhone 4 and it is a PERFECT example of an iOS4 background application. Rendering is of course a long process. But at least I can leave the app and let it do its thing in the background. Once it is done rendering it even pops up a message letting you know it is done.

Generalizing that it is not "true multitasking" is misleading at best.

Michael

Last edited:

IGonz

iPF Novice
Reaction score

0 Man.

Already streaming WunderRadio while doing things on my iPhone. I am sure it will be the same in Nov.

I am listening to a radio station in Brazil and typing this on my iPad.

Azl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only had mine for a couple of weeks so im probably still in the honeymoon phase. I feel like i spent enough time weighing the pros and cons that im not left wanting anything more than i got, hardware wise.

All of my issues right now are OS based, such as no multitasking and iOS issues. I feel like i have tunnel vision when i use the thing because i cant toggle between apps, browse the file system, view running process, etc. I am a PC guy so i feel a little like im trying to put together IKEA furniture wearing mittens.

Hopefully after a 3.2.2 jailbreak thing will improve in that regard.

Usb, ram, etc... No big deal. I just remote desktop into my PC if i need something asap that isnt synced onto the pad. This thing is just so much more of what i want - a portal into my digital environment - than anything else. Its more screen than my netbook, less buttons. I can grab it when im heading to the patio to smoke a cigar (such as right now) without mousing around to bring up a web site etc.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have only had mine for a couple of weeks so im probably still in the honeymoon phase. I feel like i spent enough time weighing the pros and cons that im not left wanting anything more than i got, hardware wise.

All of my issues right now are OS based, such as no multitasking and iOS issues. I feel like i have tunnel vision when i use the thing because i cant toggle between apps, browse the file system, view running process, etc. I am a PC guy so i feel a little like im trying to put together IKEA furniture wearing mittens.

Hopefully after a 3.2.2 jailbreak thing will improve in that regard.

Usb, ram, etc... No big deal. I just remote desktop into my PC if i need something asap that isnt synced onto the pad. This thing is just so much more of what i want - a portal into my digital environment - than anything else. Its more screen than my netbook, less buttons. I can grab it when im heading to the patio to smoke a cigar (such as right now) without mousing around to bring up a web site etc.

That is almost exactly how I feel. It's worse for me having a jailbroken iPhone 4, going from that to iPhone I sometimes cringe when I have to leave an app. Even if my iPad was jailbroken I would at least not be sandboxed out of the file system, and could background enuff to keep me happy (my iPad came with currently not jailbreakable firmware 3.2.2--grrrrr). But still, it is an amazing device and my RDP experience is so good I often wonder why I come sit at my actual PC anymore. :)

Michael

Most reactions