What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you do with your old iPad and why do you replace them?

Scottysize

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad 4 I gave to my mother who still uses it. I gave it to her so I could get the Air. I loved the smaller size of the Air and loved the style.

I just sold my iPad Air to a coworker who needed a good value on one. I really wanted the AntiGlare display of the Air 2 and she really needed a good deal on an iPad, so it's a win / win for both of us.

Sandygirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my Ipad 2 and the volume control key got stuck on "loud". I blasted thru 16g so now I have 32g. Mini. 24 hours old! Cellular and wifi .
Sandy

Sandy

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ads are great to pass onto kids or another family member if they are older or can be sold if it's a newer model. My daughters both have ipad 2s and they are still working great.

The main reason for an upgrade is to enjoy new features that are available on newer models or if the performance of your current ipad isn't good enough for the tasks you are using it for. I went from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air and felt is was an appreciable upgrade. IMO it's is NOT necessary to upgrade an iPad every year. Not at all.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I started with an Ipad One the week they came out and gradually, as developers created apps that no one had imagined and as I did more and more of my computer work on it, it just wasn't capable of keeping up. I bought the Three and used the One as more or less my radio with apps and a BT speaker. Again, my needs for use with lots of back and forth between apps, PDF creation, docs, video editing, etc it couldn't keep up again and I bought the Air--and besides its much increased speed, 64 bit for some required apps enjoyed the much slimmer and lighter Ipad for carrying. I passed on my Three to my husband whose One had seen better days.

I'm looking down the road at the possible larger "Pro" Ipad for my needs and using my Iphone for my mobile needs, probably when contract is up buying the 6 Plus.

OP
GeeKevin

GeeKevin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, it's not necessary to upgrade iPad every year. It wasn't too surprising to see that lots of people upgrade just to own the latest version tho hahaha But tbh I can't wait to get my hands on the iphone 6! :D

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got an iPad 1 shortly after they first came out. I replaced it just last fall because it can't run a lot of the newer apps... I upgraded to the Air.

I kept the iPad 1 and use it mostly as an internet music streamer. I plug it in to my stereo and listen to it during the day.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I sold my iPad 1 to a friend who stepped on his son's iPad. Gave him a break on the bill. I had already purchased the iPad 3.

I just gave my iPad 3 to my dad (mom had one already) so now they dont have to fight over the device. I picked up my iPad Air 2 on preorder. Have had it for a few days now and love it.

There are always uses for older working devices even with the new ones coming out. If my parents hadn't wanted mine, it would have found its way into my entertainment center as a controller and streaming device.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I pass my devices (iPhones and iPads) to my siblings. It's just easier; plus they get the bennies of having an Apple product with none of the purchase costs. :)

I usually replace my iPads (and iPhones, TBH) when the "new and improved!" aspect of the new device is too much for my geeky self to resist. Thus, I went from an iPad 1 to a 3 to the Air - they all had obvious (well, to me) improvements over the other.

So far, it looks as if I'll be able to resist temptation and keep the iPad Air. Even though the iPad Air 2 looks sweet as heck, I am still fine with my original Air. Guess it wasn't "new and improved" enough...

Still, I expect Apple will pique my interest next year with their new iPad. Especially if they come out with a larger screen model as my iPad very rarely leaves the house.

So, when the shiny toys are too much to resist, my siblings get, and are eager to take, my cast offs. In fact, the next sibling in line is disappointed the new Air didn't "get" me. She'll just have to wait. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions