What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you reading now?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To Calais, In Ordinary Time - James Meek

Written in a mixture of dialects of the Middle Ages, which makes quite an interesting challenge besides being an interesting book to read.

From 'Goodreads'
--------
Three journeys. One road.

England, 1348. A gentlewoman is fleeing an odious arranged marriage, a Scottish proctor is returning home to Avignon and a handsome young ploughman in search of adventure is on his way to volunteer with a company of archers. All come together on the road to Calais.

Coming in their direction from across the Channel is the Black Death, the plague that will wipe out half of the population of Northern Europe. As the journey unfolds, overshadowed by the archers' past misdeeds and clerical warnings of the imminent end of the world, the wayfarers must confront the nature of their loves and desires.

A tremendous feat of language and empathy, it summons a medieval world that is at once uncannily plausible, utterly alien and eerily reflective of our own. James Meek's extraordinary To Calais, In Ordinary Time is a novel about love, class, faith, loss, gender and desire—set against one of the biggest cataclysms of human history.
-------

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
as the line goes... ‘and now for something completely different’!

The Life of Pee by Sally Magnusson. A serious but amusing book about pee (urine!)

Did you know about the app RunPee? From a database it tells you the best time to rake a loo break in a long movie, so as not to miss the best scenes. (Look in the App store if you do not believe me.)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
as the line goes... ‘and now for something completely different’!

The Life of Pee by Sally Magnusson. A serious but amusing book about pee (urine!)

Did you know about the app RunPee? From a database it tells you the best time to rake a loo break in a long movie, so as not to miss the best scenes. (Look in the App store if you do not believe me.)

‎RunPee

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The best things come in threes.
Since I’ve still got more than a day before work starts again, I’ve started another one of his books: Farside, also written by Patrick Chiles.
Though each one of these books can be read without knowing the others, they are connected, at least by the main characters. I’ve noticed I’ve started with number 3 (Frozen Orbit). The correct timeline would be: Perigee (takes place in orbit around Earth)- Farside (rescue mission to the Moon)- Frozen Orbit (flight to Pluto).

Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am going between two books currently:
Michelangelo and the Sistine Chapel by Andrew Graham-Dixon

and in distinct contrast
The Second Sleep by Robert Harris

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve started reading Andrew Hunter Murray’s debut novel, “The Last Day”, which describes a world in the future, where the Earth has stopped rotating. Since the author also writes and researches for BBC’s show QI, I expect this story to be well thought out and plausible. The first few pages were promising.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just finished The Phoenix of Florence - Philip Kazan

and now onto The Painter of Souls - Philip Kazan

both fiction and set in and around 16th century Florence

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve started reading Re-Coil, written by J. T. Nicholas. He describes a future where mankind has spread out across the solar system; when a person dies, a backup of his/her consciousness can be downloaded to a new body (coil), thus expanding life expectation quite a bit - almost to eternity. Until a rogue AI threatens humanity.
The story evolves with breathtaking speed. So far, it has been a very interesting read.

Lindaubry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
upload_2020-3-4_21-44-24.jpeg

Very interesting book, if it pertains to you. First time in my life that I feel like I have have found the missing pieces to who I am.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m reading “Otaku”, a novel written by former NFL player Chris Kluwe. The description of the story somehow reminds me of “Ready Player One” and “Ender’s Game”. I’ve read both books and really liked them, so I’m quite curious whether or not this book is as good as the other two.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unless I’m Very Much Mistaken- Murray Walker

The voice of motor racing - and the man responsible for introducing millions of viewers to the previously inaccessible world of Formula 1 - tells the story of his incident-packed life.

Most reactions

Latest posts