What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to choose a book to read

johnds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All,

I am approaching this from an author's perspective and have a question for iBook readers.

I write because I enjoy it not because I want to make money out of it, and release my books for free. So far two books have made their way onto Apple iTunes - Secrets in January 2012 which I have since removed and The Au Naturel Girls which is on now. Others are awaiting Apple's judgement.

Both of them climbed the charts very rapidly and Secrets was in the top few free eBooks for a few weeks but The Au Naturel Girls appears to have stalled in the 20s - below books that have been out for many months or even years. I am very keen to get feedback on my work as if I improve enough I may like to be a professional author in the future so readers and feedback is key to me, but Secrets averaged at a lower score (3 or 3.5 dependent on the Country) than The Au Naturel Girls (4 in UK) so I obviously think I have done better.

So the question is, what most attracts you to a story when faced with the thumbnails? I am writing because I want to learn, and eBook marketing will be essential so it is something I do want to understand.

Thanks,

John D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, first you have to be in a category I'm interested in, which you are not; guessing from the titles. I'm mostly about Science Fiction and Fantasy, though I will leave my usual hunting grounds to satisfy my curiosity.

Second, while a nice cover might grab my attention (professional looking is best), it's the description that sells the book. Like the first paragraph of the book, you need to set the hook. Only in the description you've got about an sentence and a half.

I won't get a free book just because it's free. It's not free. It's several hours of my life.

valinrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having problem too choosing what books to read? Can anybody suggest a good romance book?

OP
J

johnds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, first you have to be in a category I'm interested in, which you are not; guessing from the titles. I'm mostly about Science Fiction and Fantasy, though I will leave my usual hunting grounds to satisfy my curiosity.

Second, while a nice cover might grab my attention (professional looking is best), it's the description that sells the book. Like the first paragraph of the book, you need to set the hook. Only in the description you've got about an sentence and a half.

I won't get a free book just because it's free. It's not free. It's several hours of my life.

It is right I am probably not in your genre - I do Romance and Erotica mostly. I obviously try to get as professional quality cover as I can, and put in a decent description, but ultimately there are hundreds of new books released to the iTunes every week - how do you find the books that interest you?

John

rugger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am very eclectic. A book I would recommend is the Outliers.

Most reactions

Latest posts