What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you reading now?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lost in Translation by Nicole Mones
(I wonder how many books have the same title? I can think off hand of three and a movie.)

From the author’s website:-
Expatriate translator Alice Mannegan spends her nights in Beijing’s smoky bars, seeking fleeting encounters with Chinese men to blot out the shame of her racist father back in Texas. But when she signs on to an archaeological expedition searching for the missing bones of Peking Man in China’s remote Northwest deserts, her world cracks open...
The novel’s accolades include the Kafka Prize for the year’s best work of fiction by any American woman, the Pacific Northwest Bookseller’s Association Book Award for the year’s best novel from the five northwestern states, and the New York Times Book Review’s Notable Book and Editor’s Choice.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye By David Lagercrantz

Second of David Lagercrantz’s follow up books to the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson about Lisbeth Salander (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Boy, I've not posted to this thread in a few years - YIKES! :eek:

But, I read constantly (nearly all non-fiction) usually having 3-4 books going 'back and forth' - current ones in the last 3 months or so shown below - done w/ half of them - usually my preferred form is in the Kindle app on the iPad or an occasional physical book (still like to hold these!) - if my wife wants to read the same book, then we use iBooks, e.g. reading one there on Rodgers & Hammerstein on my device; she has already finished. Dave :)
Books1.png
Books2.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I found recently, and was surprised, that reading epubs on my iPhone 8 has been quite successful. We have a Kindle, a very old Sony ereader and of course my iPad. Real physical books are a joy too.
Real books are also what you need if you collect autographed books like I do. I also have some autographed proof copies in my collection as well as an autographed manuscript copy that was so heavily edited by the publisher when published as to be almost unrecognizable.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I started reading a German book for children the age of my students. It’s title is “Verdammt! Ich bin ein Buch!!! (Und noch dazu ein dĂ€mliches.)”, written by Hannes Hörndler (Oh snap! I’m a book!!! (And a silly one on top of it all)). It’s a book for reluctant readers, and it asks continuously to stop reading it. (Which you can’t. :))
It’s funny. I’m already at page 30, after a few minutes of reading.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tell children not to do something (do not read this book) and they will do it. If it gets them reading, that is really good.

We were talking a few days ago about a friend who is our age and he says that he never reads books and has not done since school. (As ‘someone’ would tweet, very sad.)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m reading another German book now. It’s title:
Der Zufall, das Universum und du: Die Wissenschaft vom GlĂŒck, (coincidence, the universe and you: the science of luck) written by Florian Aigner, an Austrian physicist

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As a break or really in tandem with books on the renaissance, I thought that I would try the following:
The Yugo by Jason Vuic

From The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History
———-
The story of how this particular car became the most hated vehicle in the U.S. is a comedy of errors detailed in Jason Vuic’s book, The Yugo: The Rise and Fall of the Worst Car in History. A bewildering array of capitalist hucksters and impoverished communists desperate for revenue collaborated to create the Yugo, and what could have been a great international relations victory of the Cold War was ruined the moment consumers and auto critics actually got to drive it. Vuic examines the many failures of the Yugo venture and the people involved with a keen journalistic eye and a razor-sharp wit, making this a great read for anyone interested in automotive history or 1980s nostalgia.
——-

Most reactions

Latest posts