What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are using your iPad for that you didn't expect?

What are you using your iPad for that you DID NOT expect to use it for?

• Streaming/Watching Video

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Listening to Music

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Reading eBooks

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Browsing the Web

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • Social Networking (Twitter/Facebook/etc.)

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Something completely different (Post below)

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I didn't plan to bother trying the iPod part since I use my iPhone for that, but I tried it the other day and found it pleasant to surf the web while listening to some tunes, all on the same device.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never thought I would put my menu and grocery shopping list on my iPad and take it to the grocery store with me. I love all I can do with my iPad and no it is not a big iPod or iPhone in my book.

I love my iPad!!!! 

I take mine to the grocery store as well - shopping lists, maps, in case I need to look up directions or info.. I also use point inside app. One of my favorites. Saves me time in finding the right store and shows me which stores have sales and what kind of promotions they are having.

Most surprising thing I use my iPad for that I didn't expect.. A phone!

Whistle. Free app, and free local phone number. Using my iSpot 4G, my iPad makes and receives calls at home or when out. I may upgrade to no ad support for a few bucks later, but I don't mind the ads for now. I'm just thrilled with being able to make calls to Europe for as little as 1.1 cents/minute compared to 18 cents/minute with AT&T. Though I can use the built in mic and speaker for calls, I prefer to use my bluetooth headset when out and about. Keeps my call private, and people don't come up to me wondering how I'm able to make phone calls through my iPad. Believe me.. it's happened to me already.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Xune -

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but can you tell me what type of headset you are using? I also use Whistle, but I would like something a little more, well, a little less geeky than talking to the big iPad. Thanks.

We now return to your regularly scheduled broadcast...:)

Marilyn

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Using it right now as a remote control for my home theater PC. Kinda cool, but I like the feel of the XBMC app on my Android phone a little better.

RTShaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bedridden so I use mine 2 write code

Being bedridden but a hardware and software eng/nut I had a minimum of 3 computers surrounding my bed I bought my iPad (bought 2)
2 read books and 2 move my computers from my bedroom using my iPad 2 access them in my computer room 2 write code. But since flash doesn't run on the iPad unless jail broke (I will when the dust settles 4.xx firmware) icant use the iPad 2 watch videos or interact with my granddaughter on vantage so I have 2 keep my eeepc near .

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ashamed of you superbikes!
Dust will attract mites, will attract flies, will attract spiders which you will swallow whilst asleep.......

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I used the iPad to get a new job today and it worked!

I had something like 2000 pictures of furniture I built on the iPad. During the interview I took it out and shoved It in front of the boss and showed him how to browse through. He spent a half hour looking through and asking me questions.

I got out of the office with the job and a higher salary that was offered. I start next week...:D

I certainly did not expect I'd use the iPad to help in getting a job!

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ivan said:
i used the ipad to get a new job today and it worked!

I had something like 2000 pictures of furniture i built on the ipad. During the interview i took it out and shoved it in front of the boss and showed him how to browse through. He spent a half hour looking through and asking me questions.

I got out of the office with the job and a higher salary that was offered. I start next week...:d

i certainly did not expect i'd use the ipad to help in getting a job!

badass

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Congratulations Ivan.
Smart move having your portfolio so well displayed.

heidi22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the Xfinity application from Comcast to set my DVR recordings, look for the name of the shows that are on and even change to that channel. Cool!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The funniest of things I used my iPad for was viewing picture slides!:D

Turn the iPad to it's brightest setting, open a blank page in Pages, turn the room lights off and put you slides ON the iPad screen...:p

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions