What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wg=here are my PDFs stored on the PC after syncing

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I download a PDF to my iPad and then sync the iPad to my PC - where can I find the PDfs on my PC (Windows 7 PC)?

Edit: Opps - apols for the typo in the subject - unfortunately I don't seem to be able to edit the subject.

RzB

Last edited:

dennisparrott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I download a PDF to my iPad and then sync the iPad to my PC - where can I find the PDfs on my PC (Windows 7 PC)?

Edit: Opps - apols for the typo in the subject - unfortunately I don't seem to be able to edit the subject.

RzB

Your PDFs are most likely still on your iPad...

Syncing doesn't really move much in the way of data from the iPad to the PC ---AND--- it really depends on what app you used to download the PDF files.

For instance, I can download a PDF file from a web page in Safari and open it there. That file is in my browser cache. Or I can use the "Open in..." button in Safari to pop it up in GoodReader. Now the PDF is in GoodReader.

But --- most of the apps people use don't send data back and forth to the PC you sync with...

If you opened it in iBooks, syncing MIGHT move the PDF file into iTunes but I don't really use iBooks so I can't say for sure. (I saw GoodReader early on and haven't regretted what I spent on it...)

OP
RzB

RzB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dennis,

Many thanks for your help.

I see - syncing isn't really syncing - OK. One wonders what syncing it does that can leave me with different names in iTunes and on the iPad.

All the PDfs are visible in the iBook library. So I guess they are stored somewhere on the iPad.

So - if I have the PDF on the iPad, and I can see it in iTunes, how do I transfer or view it on my desktop. (Win 7 PC). I can see no option for this in iTunes and drag and drop doesn't work. Am I missing something again!

Thanks,

RzB

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dennis,

Many thanks for your help.

I see - syncing isn't really syncing - OK. One wonders what syncing it does that can leave me with different names in iTunes and on the iPad.

All the PDfs are visible in the iBook library. So I guess they are stored somewhere on the iPad.

So - if I have the PDF on the iPad, and I can see it in iTunes, how do I transfer or view it on my desktop. (Win 7 PC). I can see no option for this in iTunes and drag and drop doesn't work. Am I missing something again!

Thanks,

RzB

Try emailing the PDF to yourself. Go into your email account on your computer and open the PDF.

dennisparrott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try emailing the PDF to yourself. Go into your email account on your computer and open the PDF.

Except that this doesn't seem to work in iBooks (iOS v5.1.1). If the PDF in question lives in iBooks you aren't going to email it anywhere.

I actually tried to see if I could use iTunes to snag a file from iBooks. That failed. iTunes would not let me copy the file to my Macbook Pro.

I then turned on syncing for books in iTunes and after syncing the book showed up in iTunes' "Books" list.

Personally, I do not like syncing as it is a confusing, convoluted mess regardless of who implemented it. Apple's sync function is garbage. Microsoft's "Active Sync" was worse (had it for a Window Mobile phone, ugh).

To get around syncing, I use a lot of apps like GoodReader or PhoneDrive which allow me to move files around via WiFi, BT, back and forth to Dropbox or Box.com, etc.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Except that this doesn't seem to work in iBooks (iOS v5.1.1). If the PDF in question lives in iBooks you aren't going to email it anywhere.

I actually tried to see if I could use iTunes to snag a file from iBooks. That failed. iTunes would not let me copy the file to my Macbook Pro.

I then turned on syncing for books in iTunes and after syncing the book showed up in iTunes' "Books" list.

Personally, I do not like syncing as it is a confusing, convoluted mess regardless of who implemented it. Apple's sync function is garbage. Microsoft's "Active Sync" was worse (had it for a Window Mobile phone, ugh).

To get around syncing, I use a lot of apps like GoodReader or PhoneDrive which allow me to move files around via WiFi, BT, back and forth to Dropbox or Box.com, etc.

If I go to the PDF's in my iBooks app I do get the option to email from the iBooks app.

image-1743358651.jpgThis is with the latest version of iBooks on my iPad which is on iOS 6.1. Unless other considerations prevent it, you may wish to upgrade to the latest iOS.

dennisparrott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I go to the PDF's in my iBooks app I do get the option to email from the iBooks app.

View attachment 36128This is with the latest version of iBooks on my iPad which is on iOS 6.1. Unless other considerations prevent it, you may wish to upgrade to the latest iOS.

Yup. Wish I could upgrade but I have an iPad 1.

If you have a credit card I can use I'd be happy to upgrade!! <grin>

Still, I prefer apps like GoodReader since they tie into the various "cloud" services like Dropbox so nicely. Drag the document to a cloud, grab it from there using GR, open it in whatever app is appropriate, delete it from GR and the app I open it in later since the document lives in the cloud...

Going through iTunes and email is a bit of a drag...

Most reactions

Latest posts