What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App for Syncing Network Folders

alyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need a good app to sync my ipad with my network folders, which are located on a windows 7 pc. I need it to sync when connected with our wireless, and be available offline when not. The problem is I keep finding online ones-- that aren't available offline, and other ones that are only able to be viewed offline if the the pdf was previously viewed or marked as a favorite... I have thousands of pdfs.. I need the whole folder to be available offline, not the pdfs individually.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance,
alyon

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not think there are any apps with this offline option you mention. I hope you realize that when you get these offline folders set-up on a PC, they are actually making a local copy on your hard drive and syncing any changes the next time you connect to the real source.

The problem with offline and iPads is the limited space (generally) for storage. If you had. Folder on your PC that was multiple Gb of files and you were to "access" it offline, the same Gb of data would have to be stored locally on your iPad, chewing up space.

The solution is cloud based storage. Look at Dropbox for example. The PC Dropbox app keeps a synced offline folder in your local My Documents for immediate access. It syncs whenever it has Internet access to your Dropbox account. The iPad app does not. It pulls down the file you need on request. There is an option to check files for local side storage, but you would not want to apply it to all your files, especially if they get close to the 2gb storage limit (or whatever free/paid storage you have).

These days Internet access is readily handy wether through your home network/wifi, 3G, or free wifi around town. Cloud Storage works. If you have long periods of no Internet, then a portable solution like a Go Flex Satellite, etc. may be a better option.

Most reactions

Latest posts