What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch FLASH Videos On Your iPhone, iPod Touch, And iPad

PhilSynowiec

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtkX7eN26fY]YouTube - Watch FLASH Videos On Your iPhone, iPod Touch, And iPad - iOS Vlog 180[/ame]​

Yesterday, I posted a video on Skyfire 2.0 coming to iOS devices on November 4th. Well, it released today instead. Skyfire allows you to play Flash videos on your iOS device by sending the Flash content to the Skyfire servers, then they send it back, almost instantly, to play in HTML five. The buffer for each video, depending on the size, isn't too bad. Videos under five minutes should load within 20-30 seconds. This streams the video right on your device in pretty damn good quality.

Check it out in the App Store for $2.99 under the name Skyfire.

Or Click Here:
Skyfire Web Browser for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skyfire less than stellar

At least for me, my 1st experience as been awful.
1st I learn that Skyfire doesn't do Youtube though
iPad usually can.

I quickly got a notice from Google that someone had
accessed my Gmail account from New York. I take it
they're talking about Skyfire's using my account info
to access my Gmail account ?

I try to access Kim Komando video's and get messages
that Gmail is blocking Popups (and I even disabled that)
to no avail.

I know you're probably not the Guru here -- just wanted
to register my frustration that many might have trying
to make use of Skyfire

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just joined Skyfire on Facebook. One disgruntled user said the reviews are saying it doesn't work for iPad. Do you agree or disagree?

socalpimp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skyfire got destroyed......Their servers got clobbered from the demand. No way the ipad is gonna get a version.

Dbolen888

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Mystery deepens

Wanted to see if Skyfire worked better on my iPod Touch. Surprise, iTunes store shows Skyfire Web Browser no longer available. What's up w/that?:mad:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmmm, if there is so much demand for it maybe apple can make some kind of compromise....maybe a version of flash that only plays web videos and no animations or scripts.

thesoundsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thesoundsmith.com
Steve Jobs is not going to allow Flash on his hand-helds. There is no profit for him, and more important, he does not maintain control. If I can view my 45-page music website on my Touch without having to convert 200 video and music files (all my own original content, BTW) I don't have to adopt "the Apple Way," (that's me and the other 95% of the installed web browser base.)

So for now, link to YouTube and double-upload, but I can't take the time to recode for the browsers, I'm trying to make music, not websites. Thanks again, Stevie...

These could be such amazing devices - but I guess this app'll show up on Cydia, and I'll have to jb. Now I have a reason. :D

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Assuming this app goes to Cydia, which I doubt, it is not worth jailbreaking for. Trust me. It's really clunky.... and I would never use it as my everyday browser. Ugh. No forward button or way to move forward, for instance. If you accidentally go back a page there is no way to simply go forward again. And the facebook feature to me is stupid... I would rather the time spent on that had been spent on making the app itself better. Crashed on me when I tried to go to history too... which I was doing because there was no forward button. Finally, I have yet to get it to work with any the flash videos I have tried.

I can't imagine all the issues I have had have to do with their servers. I didn't even get to that point, aside from videos they show in a search box--and I will say that those did in fact play. But even during playback things were kind of odd: the usual video maximize button was there but didn't work.... tapping it once made it go away for good. Maybe these are first release issues but so far I can only see this being useful if this app played the Flash videos you simply had to have on your iPhone/iPad.

Michael

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve Jobs is not going to allow Flash on his hand-helds. There is no profit for him, and more important, he does not maintain control. If I can view my 45-page music website on my Touch without having to convert 200 video and music files (all my own original content, BTW) I don't have to adopt "the Apple Way," (that's me and the other 95% of the installed web browser base.)

So for now, link to YouTube and double-upload, but I can't take the time to recode for the browsers, I'm trying to make music, not websites. Thanks again, Stevie...

These could be such amazing devices - but I guess this app'll show up on Cydia, and I'll have to jb. Now I have a reason. :D

Why would it be in cydia...apple didn't take it down...the dev did...they couldn't handle the demand.

Just use splashtop remote!! It's safer and way better!

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news, thanks, can't wait to have a try :)

thesoundsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thesoundsmith.com
Why would it be in cydia...apple didn't take it down...the dev did...they couldn't handle the demand.

Just use splashtop remote!! It's safer and way better!

Oh - sounded like it was Apple's idea - my bad. OK, so it was a bad app, good news for the non-purchasers - I would have jumped had I seen it. And maybe they'll work out the bugs and get a bunch of new, faster servers...

Splashtop? Don't I have to connect to my PC, not just to an iPad web browser? I want to watch Flash video content on my own and other websites just like a 'normal' browser.

thesoundsmith

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.thesoundsmith.com
btw, I did buy Splashtop, and it's great for what it is, but it's still not the answer I'm looking for. If I don't leave the computer on all the time, actual remote viewing can't happen. With a remote server, it's not my power bill that takes the hit...

Most reactions