What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watch as Someone Jailbreaks an Apple Store iPad 2 Smart Sign!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iui_BLtj4wg&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - Jailbreaking the Apple Store Smart Sign - 9to5mac[/ame]​
[/FONT]​

[FONT=&quot]It seems that people have been getting so excited about finally being able to jailbreak their iPad 2 that they are getting carried away and trying to jailbreak other people’s iPad 2s as well! Naughty! 9to5 Mac features a video today that shows one of their readers, called Adrian, actually being bold enough to jailbreak an Apple Store iPad 2 Smart Sign. The audacity! I know they like to keep things pretty relaxed in the average Apple Store, but it seems incredible that someone could actually mess around with the Smart Sign, which normally just displays details about the particular product that it’s in front of. 9to5 Mac explains that customers are not usually able to use the Smart Sign for anything other than looking up a product’s details, as it’s protected by a top-secret gesture code. Somehow Adrian managed to find out the gesture, launch Safari, and jailbreak the Smart Sign with JailbreakMe 3.0, all under the noses of Apple staff, presumably, in the store in question. Wonder which store it was?! [/FONT]

Source: Apple Store iPad Smart Sign jailbroken (video) | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

Confucious

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.iphone-dev.org
It really isn't something to be proud of. Wish people wouldn't be so silly - but there will always be someone - otherwise we'd all be the same.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Who ever has done this is such a *****. Did you know that Apple Store Employees have a low salary with a very strict policy. As well as the fact that the smart signs have special provision profiles so it can only be ran normally using a special gesture. Now the Apple Store will have a very hard time restoring the iPad as well as adding those profiles to it. (the ***** is done by be and is not a edit made by a moderator).

Sent From my jailbroken interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple will eventually block the ability to jailbreak, and it will likely do it with hardware. When that happens, you will have to hack the hardware to get root access, and opening the case will void your warranty.

Apple cannot stop you from jail breaking, however they can block access to the App Store and void your warranty - as well as block you from entering the iCloud with a jail broken device.

-t

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, but don't get carried away. What apple "can" do and what Apple "will" do are two very different things. None of us are in a position to know what they will do, but exploiting a few devices in their store, even the "big display", with the jbme3.0 vulnerability is not going to bring about the end of the world.
Exactly the same thing happened with jbme 2.0. I walked into my local Apple store 2 days after it was released and EVERY iPhone4 on display was jailbroken. Apple will patch the exploit, ban the hosts addresses from the store networks, update the devices with 4.3.4, and move on.
Maybe they will introduce further countermeasures in IOS5 and iCloud when it goes public, but nobody knows for sure. It has always been and will always be a game of cat and mouse. Apple act, the JB community react. Don't sweat it, and remember our rules... be respectful on the forums when discussing topics!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The interesting thing about trying to predict what Apple will ultimately do today is that it really does hang on Jobs. If he feels compelled to take action, the sky is the limit. He will do whatever it takes...

If he is not passionate about it, then it's just another line on someone's project schedule.

Pay attention to any public statement he might make in this regard and you will have a better chance of predicting any future actions.

-t

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mrogers07 said:

Because it gives Apple a very identifiable reason to publicly end all forms of jailbreaking.

I don't think so. JB was decided in the courts, I think.

Disclaimer: things change and recent legal opinions and rulings might trump whatever I say below. I do not follow the issues, so corrections are always welcome.

The legal case(s) and decisions most of us cite when we discuss if Jailbreaking is legal apply to Jailbreaking the iPhone, not the iPad, which did not exist at the time of the ruling. In legal matters, many things can change for the worse because some lawyer forgot a comma or misspelled something. I am not sure if one can simply say the LOC ruling applies even though the device did not exist but has the same OS, so it must apply.

As it stands now, Jailbreaking the iPhone is legal because it was specifically deemed to be acceptable use and in no way a violation of Apple's IP. Courts, the DMCA, the LOC have ruled as such. The iPhone was specifically mentioned and if you look into it, Apple put up a fight and was finally shot down.

As far as I can determine, there is no legal opinion about Jailbreaking the iPad.

Do I think Apple would win a challenge if they try to stop Jailbreaking iPads? No. I think the same legal opinions will stand and courts would see no difference when it comes to Jailbreaking two almost identical devices with (in some cases) the same iOS.

Then again, assumptions are not important in legal matters and who really knows how a court/DMCA/LOC would rule in regards to the iPad.

One small issue: the recent ruling does not prevent Apple from charging you to repair your jailbroken devices; that is to say, the ruling does not force Apple to honor your warranty.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]It seems that people have been getting so excited about finally being able to jailbreak their iPad 2 that they are getting carried away and trying to jailbreak other people’s iPad 2s as well! Naughty! 9to5 Mac features a video today that shows one of their readers, called Adrian, actually being bold enough to jailbreak an Apple Store iPad 2 Smart Sign. The audacity! I know they like to keep things pretty relaxed in the average Apple Store, but it seems incredible that someone could actually mess around with the Smart Sign, which normally just displays details about the particular product that it’s in front of. 9to5 Mac explains that customers are not usually able to use the Smart Sign for anything other than looking up a product’s details, as it’s protected by a top-secret gesture code. Somehow Adrian managed to find out the gesture, launch Safari, and jailbreak the Smart Sign with JailbreakMe 3.0, all under the noses of Apple staff, presumably, in the store in question. Wonder which store it was?! [/FONT]​

How is this Jailbreaking? If this moron used gestures and Safari to change the sign, it is not really Jailbreaking, is it?

In my opinion, when some idiot fools around with Apple and causes them issues, it reflects bad on all of us. We are painted as fools and morons and troublemakers and a public --largely ignorant about Jailbreaking-- sees us lawless jailbreakers as bad people.

Since the YT video is gone, I might have missed something. So clarify... is it Jailbreaking or not?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob,
Technically it's jailbreaking but what he did has the exact same problem as "normal" jailbreaking or buying a PC. Jailbreaking your device is legal but pirating is illegal. Whoever has done it explains my previous description. Dispite this I still don't think jailbreaking is bad, it just can be used for bad things.

Sent From my jailbroken interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

Most reactions

Latest posts