What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wary about the Ipad 2

Khenic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone, ya I'm new here. I've been reading these pages alot the last 3 weeks or so and driving my fiancee crazy talking about tablets.

The iPad caught my eye when it first came out and I always found myself intrigued to go fiddle around with it at Best Buy when I was there, but I never jumped on it and bought one. So in comes the iPad 2, a little better here and there, and a few dissapointments, but overall a solid refresh. i then started reading about the Motorola Xoom and Android Honeycomb, this also caught my interest ( had a droid phone for a while and liked it).

Anyways, so I was excited about the Xoom (reading about it) but then that excitement sort of vanished once it was released and I saw a few things I wasn't keen on, mainly that glossy screen (ugh for a tablet) and though at first I liked the look of honeycomb, I kind of grew to not care for the look after a little while.

So in the absence of any real competition I was seriously eyeing the iPad 2 again. I was ready to make a choice and settle on the iPad 2 and after reading all sorts of discussions on it went to Best Buy and took a look at one and shocker!!! It had backlight bleeding.

This has set me back, now I'm lost, I'm not sure what to do. This may not come as a surprise but my Best Buy has been out of stock for a week now anyways so it's just given me all this time to doubt the product. :|

I'm no fanboy for anything really, I have a Win 7 desktop, an ipod ofcourse (which has the white screen of death) and I own a 1.3ghz iBook that's ~8 years old I think. I like the way Apple does some things, but not all, everyone has pros & cons right?

My concerns are these:
I would be the kind of person that if my iPad had any backlight bleeding it would drive me insane and I've seen alot of videos on Youtube and discussion threads at various sites with ppl having this issue, coupled with the fact that my local BB's floor unit had bleeding (first hands on impression) and the lack of stock I fear I'll drop a bunch of money on something I want to be awesome and it has backlight bleeding.

My second concern is the flash thing, ya I know you guys are hard of hearing it, and I'm not really here to complain about it, I have been trying hard to figure out how I can make the iPad 2 work for me. Here are the things I'd mainly like to do with the iPad

Surf the web: I don't care about flash games, or lack of flash banners, BUT I would like to be able to watch The Daily Show & The Colbert Report on the iPad but the Comedy Central (ComedyNetwork.ca carries this content in Canada) webpage uses flash, so that's a no go. I don't want to even entertain the idea of purchasing these shows through iTunes when I know they're available for free out there. So do any of these flash workarounds for the iPad work on these sites to stream the shows for free? The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, that's all I care about.

Third concern, iOS obviously feels dated and limited, are you guys expecting any sort of dramatic changes with iOS 5?

Last concern, I've been hearing things about iPad 3 possibly coming sooner than the usual refresh cycle, what's going on? (Who has a crystal ball here?)

Ya, I know it's a wall of text but I'm thankful to anyone that took the time to read it. Did anyone else have any doubts before buying? Was anyone tempted by the promises of Android only to see it's not quite there yet? Is anyone curious about the upcoming Galaxy Tab refresh?

Sincerely, confused shopper.

Kirwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last edited:

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all! How you all doing?

Wow, what a coincidence.

I too have been eyeballing the ipad 2 with similar concerns as OP!

I just joined this forum (after weeks of lurking around and reading here) to make a thread like this!

Ipad 3 rumours concern me alot, I don't want to shell out £400 or more for a device that may be outdated before Christmas.

Last edited:

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For many flash based websites, you can try using skyfire browser. Its a paid app...Not sure of stability, but its out there...

As far as back light bleeding...Yes, it is an issue...Yes Apple is working on a solution and will make it right. I would not let it deter you from purchasing one. If your iPad has it, Apple will fix it/replace it when the solution comes out.

Lots say the OS is dated. I think its great. Yes, widgets and what not would be great, but in honesty, I would rather have battery life and stability over them.

As far as iPad 3...Right now..Just rumors...Every year there is a rumor that the iPhone/iPad is coming out earlier then expected. Some tech site always seems to get a few specs and thinks, OMG, its going to be released early...Apple has stuck to the yearly release schedule and I am guessing they will stay with that. They have a great fan base, and it would not be a great move on their part to put out another version of the product in the same year...

Last edited:

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is a YouTube of the GoodReader app. This fixes another Xoom vs Ipod issues. That being IPAD can't do drag-n-drop. This app addresses and surpasses the Xoom feature. Its a big one for me as I use my IPAD as a portable library.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD6DyQkLN2U]YouTube - GoodReader iPad App Review[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwuMmjx_BE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSwuMmjx_BE[/ame]

Don't let Flash restrict you from the IPAD, I'm a big Android Fan who now smiles and giggles every day I lift the smart flap on my new IPAD. There are so many things the IPAD does slick and neat. If you want to spend a year hacking fiddling with your tablet get a Xoom, If you want to get solid working Apps, Cases, Features and be down the road enjoying you tablet get the IPAD. Sometimes there's a good reason everyone is runing in the same direction.

p.s. this is not my youtube I just think it is very informative.

Last edited:

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm concerned about flash also... so I went down to the Apple store for advice. They recommended iSwifter and/or Skyfire. I won't know 'til I have a chance to play... that is; when my iPad 2 finally arrives.

Here's a bit of info about iSwifter posted on Engadget...

iPad gets Flash yet again with iSwifter app, Android version coming soon (hands-on) -- Engadget

Hope this helps answers one of your questions.

I would pay for Skyfire before wasting time with iSwifter. My brief time with iSwifter convinced me it's junk.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought our iPad2 from BB ... After two weeks the slight yellow flares are gone. Could never see them when the screen is full on, anyway. Apple is aware and will provide an exchange for up to a year from purchase. (don't worry).

Flash on native iPad(s) won't happen ... there are some work arounds.

Check the Thread on "Xoom is a flop".

Also read this link: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=121943

Continue your research, there is a lot of info here, and elsewhere. There is a a lot of FUD going on as well as the media that supports the PC world is very active... believable? ... that is up to you.

BB gets shipments on Mondays and Wednesdays ... Get there early and they are available ... but the next day they're gone. Demand is high. I wonder why?

Last edited:

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good News is that you have not bought iPad 2 as of yet. Even if you order today, by the time any are ready to ship, the bleeding will have been fixed. I held off ordering for exactly this reason. The first wave will have something 'off' about it. They will immediately jump on making it right and by the time I get around to ordering it, it will be the next wave with all fixed. So go ahead and order it, wait the 4 to 5 weeks for the fixes to be put into place and then it will arrive all fresh new and working without bleeding or anything else. That is why I didn't get the iPad 1 until Nov of last year. Now I have ordered my iPad 2 and when it arrives I'll be a happy camper without return issues.

iPad is so popular that many many sites are now including both flash and the ability to show you their content from an iPad, that will only increases as time goes on.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, what a coincidence.

I just joined this forum (after weeks of lurking around and reading here) to make a thread like this!

Ipad 3 rumours concern me alot, I don't want to shell out £400 or more for a device that may be outdated before Christmas.

There are many good reasons iPad3 won't happen this year. First of all, there is little competition to drive the need. Vaporware is everywhere and the hype is high but not believable. Apple is setup to deliver up to 4 million iPad2's per month. Setting up to build iPad3 (that no one knows what it is) is just not unreasonable in a business sense. They just introduced iPad2.

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I can tell the first wave of ipad2s were the best batch so far. I bought mine in the first hour of launch day and it's perfect. Absolutely no backlight leakage or any other problems. It's georgeuos!

If you think iOS is behind the times, wait 'till you try other tablets.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@SheerLuck
Preordered my first iPad1 on first day possible and queued for a preordered iPad2 on launch day. Bought another iPad1 unseen and all have been without noticeable flaws and work perfectly.

As to the OP's "obviously dated and limited".......don't believe all you read.
It just works, fast and efficient sans malware.

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I to will eventually try a Xoom but not at this date. It's to early in it's evolution to say nothing of a real lack of applications. By the time the iPad 3 is available that's the time to do a real comparison. I choose not to go without a 'tablet' experience until that happens. I have been able to directly replace my HP netbook with my iPad1 and now my Ipad2 in 80% of my use. The fact that the ipad2 is instant on and truly dose have a 10+ hour battery time are also something that I have found indispensable for me and will be a measurement for any future table purchase.

Last edited:

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, what a coincidence.

There are many good reasons iPad3 won't happen this year. First of all, there is little competition to drive the need. Vaporware is everywhere and the hype is high but not believable. Apple is setup to deliver up to 4 million iPad2's per month. Setting up to build iPad3 (that no one knows what it is) is just not unreasonable in a business sense. They just introduced iPad2.

You make a good point with the numbers.

But what about that "anonymous Apple staff member" who said the following:

The Apple employee told CultofMac, "For the iPad 2, don't get your hopes up too high. That's all I'm going to say."
Immediately going against his previous statement, he then went to clarify, "They've had a number of problems along the way, and the third-generation iPad is the one to make a song and dance about."

There have been rumours that we'll see a third iPad hit the stands later this year, and this particular source told the website that the iPad 3 is indeed on track for a launch later this year.

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is a good youtube video I found on iSwifter

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimAmYEULec]YouTube - Play Flash Videos & Games On iPad (2) FREE - iSwifter[/ame]

Looks good to me and looks like it let's you play the free internet version of Hulu :) Looking forward to trying this out!

Jay

bored2426

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad2. I use iSwifter for the flash problem. It allows me to watch videos from websites like CBS and FOX. I haven't tried comedy central but I bet it works.
As for the light bleeding. I have already exchanged one ipad for that reason but the apple people told me that I should hold onto the one i have and use it until they fix the problem then they will swap it out for me, no questions asked.

Most reactions

Latest posts