What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VMWare

bcushman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering why you couldn't use the iPad with its web browser to access VMWare's thin-client software View? If possible, this should allow you to run any application Word, Excell, etc. from the iPad.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it runs off of Java or basic HTML functions then yes it would work...if it requires a 3rd party framework you will encounter the same issue as flash.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not Java, Javascript. The iDevices don't support Java either, no Java Applets.

I think you need a plugin to acess the VMWare server console. I've never used that kind of setup specifically. Seems like VMWare would need to make their own App to get it to work.

This seems the same logic line as the VNC clients that are already out and in use. Granted it would be nice to just send the image data for a single program window instead the full resolution of the whole screen.

@Caps
The idea is that you have a full computer somewhere else running MSWord or ArcGIS (look it up) that you view and interact with remotely. It sends you basically a streaming feed of the desktop and you send back keyboard and mouse input. If I understand the VMWare server correctly? This let's you use programs that would never be able to work on any mobile device while still mobile. It's the old idea of terminals come back again, to weak to do much more then display and take input. All the heavy processing is done on the "server." Editing Final Cut or Premiere from the iPad would be another example.

Last edited:

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using WinAdmin to connect to my Windows system in my office. It works great, the only issue is the size of buttons etc. You have to pinch out to increase the font and size of everything. I have been able to log in and work remotely just as efficiently as I do from my Mac with the RDP from Microsoft. I am not familiar with VMware

OP
B

bcushman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thin-Client

We are using VMWare's View thin-client extensively. Yes it is the old mainframe dumb terminal days, but performance is outstanding, and it really helps lock down our systems from a security standpoint. I just think moving this to the tablet would be great for travelers. The data is secure, and they would have access to any type of application.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are using VMWare's View thin-client extensively. Yes it is the old mainframe dumb terminal days, but performance is outstanding, and it really helps lock down our systems from a security standpoint. I just think moving this to the tablet would be great for travelers. The data is secure, and they would have access to any type of application.

If there is demand for it on the iPad, it will come.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not saying that Terminals are a bad thing, especially from an education stand point. It can save money on hardware and, depending on licensing, software as well. It also opens up opertunities for students to experiance multiple operating systems with only a handful of installations. Not one per pupil.

How does the VMware client run on netbooks? That's going to be closer to iPad spec based performance I think.

Most reactions

Latest posts