What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Viewing Office

perryc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I am thinking about buying an ipad2 can I view word, excel and PowerPoint presentations on the iPad if they are sent by email to my iPad without any extra software to download?

If not what do I need to install to view and if possible edit/create docs.

Thanks

Perry

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the Apple iWorks suite (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.) Each provides the capability to edit MS Office docs. There are also somewhat less expensive emulators (Documents To Go, Office HD, and QuickOffice HD) that provide similar capabilities. PowerPoint is the odd man out here. Be sure the version you download includes the PowerPoint feature (The more expensive version of Documents To Go does; the less expensive does not.)

By the way, none of these solutions is perfect. Complex formatting and in the spreadsheets complicated formulas and specific features may not function. Somewhere on this board a user did an excellent comparison of the various apps. Hopefully, one of the moderators will pipe up with that link. Otherwise, do a search and you'll probably find it.

Finally, looking for the best match to your requirements can be expensive. If you download and pay for an app and find that it doesn't meet your requirements, don't hesitate to ask for a credit on iTunes either by filling out the form available there or by contacting iTunes support by phone. Despite the language on iTunes meant to discourage returns, don't let that stop you. You should be able to get credit for any app that you cannot use.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts