What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Note taking app that supports folders and sub-folders?

tdrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do tech support for a software company, and take notes on clients, software applications, projects, etc. I'm looking for a note taking app that supports the use of folders and sub-folders.

For instance, I envision a 'notebook' with a folder called 'Clients' and a folder called 'Applications'. Within the Client folder, there would be sub-folders for each client. Within that sub-folder, there would be multiple 'pages' on various topics pertaining to that client.

And in a perfect world, there would be a corresponding Windows application to provide access to my notes from my PC.

Any thoughts? Or am I asking for too much?

Thanks in advance!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, two apps come to my mind - NoteShelf and Notability.

1) NoteShelf ($4.99, USD) allows you to put notebooks into notebooks, in effect creating sub folders. So, there's that. In addition, you can export the files to Evernote or Dropbox, so you can access them from your home/work computer. If I remember correctly, they export as PDFs, but I don't remember off the top of my head. However, I do remember that they are not editable on your home computer - you can only view them.

2) I just got Notabilty ($.99, USD), so I'm not too familiar with it. But, I do know that you can export the notes as PDF documents for viewing on your computer. I like the layout of this app, and it's one of the smoothest note takers I've tried.

If pressed, I'd recommend NoteShelf over Notability. But, they're both good. Hopefully others will chip in with their ideas.

Happy hunting!

Marilyn

whaukap

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notebinder for iPad is exactly what you are describing! There are three cool levels of organization. A Binder that you can put up to seven folders in that contain your pages. Folders that contain pages. And a Scratch-Pad, that is just pages only. You can move your Scratch-pad notes into a Folder or Binder, and you can move a Folder in to a Binder if you need to! Dropbox, Google Drive and WebDAV integration. Annotate PDF's, record and export audio and video files. Navigating is really easy, thumbnail view pages in folders, and one tap to show your most recent pages that have been worked on. I use it everyday.

Most reactions

Latest posts