What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Virus

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
An one get a virus on iPad?

Hi Doris - welcome to the forum! :) First, there are NO virus threats 'in the wild' that will affect your 'stock' iPad, so not a concern; however, a 'virus' is only one type of malware (if you want to learn a little more, then check this LINK - yes more for the Mac OS but the definitions may be helpful). Second, the only issues that I've had after almost 3 years of using my iPad 2 are browser re-directs, NOW not a big issue but just irritating - there are ways around this if really bothersome.

You might want to tell us 'why' you are worried about a virus on your iPad? Safe surfing & emailing is important, i.e. don't give away your personal information, credit card numbers, etc. Also, keep in mind that 'Windows' malware (e.g. viruses, worms, etc.) in your emails (which will NOT affect your iPad) could be passed onto your 'friends' who are using a Windows computer - just take care - if you still have questions, please ask. Dave

Last edited:
OP
doris ganton

doris ganton

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Doris - welcome to the forum! :) First, there are NO virus threats 'in the wild' that will affect your 'stock' iPad, so not a concern; however, a 'virus' is only one type of malware (if you want to learn a little more, then check this LINK - yes more for the Mac OS but the definitions may be helpful). Second, the only issues that I've had after almost 3 years of using my iPad 2 are browser re-directs, NOW not a big issue but just irritating - there are ways around this if really bothersome. You might want to tell us 'why' you are worried about a virus on your iPad? Safe surfing & emailing is important, i.e. don't give away your personal information, credit card numbers, etc. Also, keep in mind that 'Windows' malware (e.g. viruses, worms, etc.) in your emails (which will NOT affect your iPad) could be passed onto your 'friends' who are using a Windows computer - just take care - if you still have questions, please ask. Dave

Hi Dave:
The reason I asked is because last night I received an email with just an addy to go to from a friend. I emailed that friend and asked if she had sent it to me and she had NOT!. So I immediately worried about a virus. I only use an iPad now,no laptops etc. and I didn't know if my iPad might be contaminated. Many thanks for your reply. Doris

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave:
The reason I asked is because last night I received an email with just an addy to go to from a friend. I emailed that friend and asked if she had sent it to me and she had NOT!. So I immediately worried about a virus. I only use an iPad now,no laptops etc. and I didn't know if my iPad might be contaminated. Many thanks for your reply. Doris

Hi again Doris - if your friend is on a Windows PC, then she likely has malware on her computer that is 'spoofing' her email address (i.e. sending out emails to her contacts) - check HERE for an explanation) - you have nothing to worry about (just delete the message), but I would advise that your friend (again assuming she has a PC) run her virus/malware program and also change her password to her email provider. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts