What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 3 virus - help!

johndeol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 3 and have been trying to save a word document in Pages, but keep receiving an error which reads 'Are You Suprised?' (spelt wrong incidentally).

I googled some mac forums and discovered that it's a virus which affects microsoft word on macs. While I've found solutions to fixing the problems on a mac, I can't see how to fix it on an iPad. Can anyone help pelase?

Thanks
John

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you not just move over a "fixed" version of the file from your Mac to your iPad, and work with that one in Pages, instead of the previous version from the Mac where the virus was? In other Words, get a clean copy of the file on your iPad before working with it in Pages.

OP
J

johndeol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "fixed" version. Are you suggesting that it's the mac that's infected not my ipad?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, lets be clear. Your iPad3 does not have a virus ;)

It is the Microsoft Word document that you are using which has the infection, and this came about from a virus which infects Word for Mac documents. It won't have any impact on your iPad3, other than then problem with the actual document itself. You will pretty much have to abandon the document on your iPad3 AFAIK. I would recommend deleting it altogether.
Assuming the document originated from your own Mac computer, what you need to do is ensure that your Mac and all the Word for Mac documents you have on your computer are scanned and the virus removed from them.
Only at that stage should you then consider moving them across to your iPad to edit them.
If you are not the source of these documents, then you need to find a source that is virus free, or get in touch with the owner and let them know their Mac is infected!

Hope that clarifies.

OP
J

johndeol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. It appears to be a problem with every word document I open via gmail. Could gmail be the source of the problem do you think?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is wherever these documents are coming from originally.
I'm pretty sure GMail would not be the source of the infection... It would pretty much destroy them from a PR point of view if they were infecting all Microsoft Word documents that passed through their email infrastructure ;)
It's whoever has the infection on the PC that is either creating these documents, or editing them and passing them on...

OP
J

johndeol

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I'll start by attempting to fix the problem on my mac. Many thanks for your help.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "fixed" version. Are you suggesting that it's the mac that's infected not my ipad?

I believe what AQ_OC is suggesting, get a "clean" copy onto your Mac by whatever means, a "fixed" download if necessary or fixing with the solutions you have found, not an infected one and move that over to the iPad to work in Pages.

Your Mac is not infected ,just a crook file you downloaded. And the solution for iPad has been suggested to you. Get a clean copy onto it
Regards, Andrew

Most reactions

Latest posts