What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video Thumbnails Not Showing Up

MonEl327

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hiya all!

I download vids from youtube and convert them on keep-vid.com. Then I drag them to the ipad (via itunes). I've done it this way since day one. A couple of days before I updated to ios4, a couple of vids I did this way did not show up as thumbnails of the vid, they showed up as white tiles with a comp monitor on it. I can touch them and they play the vid fine, but no thumbs. I then updated to ios4, and they still show up as white tiles. I deleted them and re-did the whole shebang, still showing up as white tiles.

Anyone else getting this, or can think of a reason/fix for it? I want my thumbs back! :)

Thanks!

Mon

locutusgein

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the exact same thing started happening to me today, normally i'd dload the mp4s from keepvid and be able to view the thumbnails on the ipad but all of a sudden that isnt working...

note i also used aneesoft ipad video converter and "reconverted" the mp4 files but got the same result

OP
M

MonEl327

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank goodness it's happening to someone else! lol...

I posted the same prob on the Apple forums, and no response. No response here either, maybe a few others will start seeing the problem and can figure it out.

Thanks!

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem - just started happening after doing a full restore and updating all my software.

Makes me wish I'd remained Jailbroken..

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OBTW - I converted all my videos using Handbrake, have used Handbrake or DVDFab since day one, and have never had an issue. As stated above, vids play fine, I just don't have any thumbs.

I mostly do series episodes and concerts and have a bunch of video on the pad at any given time. It's a royal PITA to figure out what's what.

BobbyJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem too. Blanks thumbnails with no titles, but when you tap one, the file name shows up and the movie plays fine.

joeanne12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem here, My ipad is new and unbroken, the first few movies I put on have nomal thumbs but later ones have the computer tile. It is either the way I am putting them onto the ipad or which program I am using to convert. Not sure. Can't work it out. Hopefully someone can help. My ipad was already already 4.2.1 and the first few movies were fine.

joeanne12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thumbnails

I figured out what I was doing wrong and hope I can help someone else. In itunes you must put the files into Movies in your Library then sync to Movies on your ipad. If you put the files straight into your ipad Movies folder they show up but have the computer tile instead.

OP
M

MonEl327

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joeanne - That's a thought, I hadn't thought about doing that, I always just went right from my desktop to my ipad. I'll give that a whirl and post here later today, hopefully that solves the problem for everyone!

Thanks!!

Mon

GeeWillikers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured out what I was doing wrong and hope I can help someone else. In itunes you must put the files into Movies in your Library then sync to Movies on your ipad. If you put the files straight into your ipad Movies folder they show up but have the computer tile instead.

This works like a champ, but it's a ridiculous thing to have to do to get a thumbnail.

Why the extra step?

Either way - thanks for suggesting this - I'm back on track.

OP
M

MonEl327

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success! Success! It worked!

Thanks, joeanne12, now my ipad vids look normal again!

Awesome!

Mon

bigGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem Fixed

Thank you so much joeanne12. I would never have thought of that. My exact same problem happened after the OS upgrade & I’ve been recoding my movies, changing resolutions & altering file names & properties to find a solution.

nypdz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys
Try this , it worked for me,
Itunes, Just select all files on the movies sub-menu of your ipad, right click and select 'Reset Plays'
hope it works for you'll as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts