What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video thumbnails changing

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After updating to iPadOS I noticed that if I play any video from the Photos app, the thumbnail changes.
Previously, the first frame was always used as the thumbnail, so I always made that a title screen so I could tell what the video was. Now, it grabs a random frame, which makes it nearly impossible to tell which video I’m about to play.

Airdropped videos to my iPhone (iOS 13.1.2) and don’t get the changing thumbnails.

Anyone else having this issue?

Adjustments.JPG

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. All my videos show the first frame as the thumbnail. Then again, I don’t have any title screens. I wonder if Apple is trying to be helpful, and an AI is seeing the title screens as having no content, then moving the thumbnail to the first screen with an obvious scene.

Is the new thumbnail, by chance, the first frame after the title?

That’s the only thing I can thing of. Nothing I did in photos changed the thumbnails on the videos I tested.

OP
B

BikeFlagAZ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most of the thumbnails are from 15 seconds in, but one was about 45 seconds.

My iPad has been very flaky since installing iPadOS. I’m thinking of wiping it clean and doing a fresh install of everything to see if that will help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Before you do a full reset, try the lesser Reset All Settings. It has been known to fix unexpected behavior, especially right after an update.

You’ll have to re-tweek many your settings and preferences, but none of your content will be lost.

Most reactions