What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dropbox fails to read video MP4 files

Hehlers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use iTUNES to download and store large numbers of Podcasts which are generally either audio MP3 or video MP4 files. I copy them into an array of folders in my dropbox on my PC. I then read them (listen or view) on my iPAD using Dropbox. This has worked well for over a year. Then I think perhaps chages were made to the Dropbox App. The MP3 or audio files continued to work fine. However, the Video or MP4 files began to post a warning that they would only play for 15 minutes. Instructions were given to use the FAVORITES button to download these files if you wished to view them. This was very slow and difficult and you could not view the file immediatley as desired. Later that seemed to change and the warning no longer appears.

Now these files are sometimes accompanied with a small picture which is used in the starting frames to present the video. Most people that post these files to Internet do not include the picture. Where pictures are present with the load then the video plays normally and completely. If the little thumbnail photo is missing the whole process stops saying no photo is available.

I would hope that the Dropbox folks would change their software to make the photo optional. If they insist they can fill it in with a generalized background photo of their choice. I cannot find a phone number for them and their files associated with customer support are grossly deficient. They seem to have no method to contact them if their is a problem but they do have a communication box to be used to suggest product improvements so I used that.

Does anyone have an alternate way of playing MP4 video files that arrive at the iPAD via Dropbox. Is there an alternative to DROPBOX that would satisfy my needs to transport and play these files on the iPAD. Just knowing how to contact and chat with the Dropbox folks would be helpful.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think most people would let iTunes manage their podcasts rather than the lengthy process of transferring to Dropbox. You can tell iTunes to sync only a certain amount of unwatched podcasts and view them natively in the Video app. This is handy when space is a premium. Sync the iPad back to iTunes each evening to remove the watched/listen to podcasts and load on the next unwatched ones.

I use Dropbox a lot, but not for videos. Not really a problem if on wifi, but a hassle if trying to use 3G when put and about.

Most reactions

Latest posts