What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deleted Camera Roll images reappear in thumbnails - following Paper by FiftyThree app

dowtchaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed this odd behaviour on my iPad 2.
I was playing about with the app "Paper by FiftyThree" and saved a fairly blank page with just some scribbles into Camera Roll. To my surprise when I went to look at it in camera roll there was an old deleted photograph overlaid with the scribbles! If I repeat the "save" I get the same scribbles overlaid on another, random, deleted photo.
If I save a virgin blank page I get an untouched deleted photo.

Note : it only appears on the thumbnail view - if you click on the photo you just get the recently saved file, not the deleted photo. The 3 finger tap & slide to zoom in does work but the quality is thumbnail-poor, as you would expect.

I note that when saving ( Paper app calls it "sharing") the "Save Background" switch has to be "off" for this effect to occur.

It's as though by setting the background to be OFF that the saved sketch is transparent and somehow picks some random complete deleted photo to use as background. Maybe the thumbnails are created and stored in a separate location and are not deleted in the same way as the parent photo? Or maybe the app writers took some shortcuts?

I don't know if this only happens with this particular app, or Camera Roll and not the other albums, or if it happens on other iPads or iPhones.

I can't think of any hardware reason for this peculiarity - it must be software.
Maybe this will give some insight to people who would like to know just what goes on deep inside IOS5.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. I was able to duplicate the issue. I'd say it's a bug in the app. Not a terribly important one, because as you say it only affects the thumbnail.

(pause for a bit of research)

I checked their support page, and it looks like the bug has already been reported; though they think it is a bug in the Photos app, not Paper. I'm sure, either way, it will be fixed eventually.

OP
D

dowtchaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Interesting. I was able to duplicate the issue. I'd say it's a bug in the app. Not a terribly important one, because as you say it only affects the thumbnail.

(pause for a bit of research)

I checked their support page, and it looks like the bug has already been reported; though they think it is a bug in the Photos app, not Paper. I'm sure, either way, it will be fixed eventually.

Yes - when I went to report it on their site, and like we all should did a search first, yes I found it had been reported a few months ago. Interesting though - would make you wonder just what goes on in the Photo app - wonder if they don't bother wiping the thumbnail when the parent image is deleted, and that perhaps the thumbnails are all exactly the same file size and occupy some neat regular placeholder positions, living on like some ghostly traces. Reminds me of a LONG time ago filling the core of the IBM360 with witty jokes to surprise whoever would next print out the core dump when their punchcard program failed! We really had no idea it would end up with morons posting that they had just eaten at McDonalds or posting up photos of a cat doing something vaguely funny.

Tahoechris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sir, just wanted to let you know that most probably this is a bug within the photo app. as I have another lay over a deleted pic;
actually it's the same pic which I inserted on my profile page of Wonka. This was just saved to my album direct without modification
in a photo app. Remarkably though it's another gif that double imaged same as last time.
Figured this may be useful to others that may be having quirky problems of this nature. I have yet to see a regular pic overlap
another but it appears that only gif's are doing it; I'll try to duplicate it. Couldn't capture it with copy as you already know when you
bring it up to page it separates from the underlying one.

I'm curious if this only occurs in large,(huge!) camera rolls like mine or it can present at all times. I just started using gif's recently
so I may not have seen it earlier when my c/r was smaller.

Still contemplating storage mediums for my photos. The hardware option looked good for a moment but there's problems I've
been seeing in the reviews. As far as those two well known services; 1 deleted 15,000 photos from some guys album because of
some error in the pic then told him they couldn't recover them...scary!

Think I'll just buy a 5th gen pad when they're released and bring them down from the cloud to it while still having them on
the second gen as a not only a backup but as a photo viewer,(an expensive one though!). Just ruminating there!

Good day to you.

Most reactions

Latest posts