What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video player crashed, now just a black screen.

duffton1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found an amazingly simple solution

After spending most of the day restoring factory settings and even bloody downloading a new app and a hundred other things none of which worked I simply used the search facility for one of my films and it played straight away and I could see my library. I tried playing the rogue episode which crashed it in the first place it went black again did the search thing again and all was right with the world of ipad once more

Thediver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the similar problem. The solution is way too simple.

Forget reset or restore. All you need to do is:

Go to search, type the name of another video file that you know you have in your library and click on it. That's it. This will open the new video and close the one that caused the crash.

Do not open the file that made your screen went blank. Go find it and delete it.

Hope it works for you!!
You are simply the Best!

Your trick works perfectly, thanks alot:)

h2into

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use the iPod app to fix it!

Start the iPod app and play a podcast. If you don't have any, just download one through the app and play it. Once done, try playing a video. This worked for me!

Quick, simple and no resetting/rebooting/deleting/reloading!

Last edited:

Thediver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Come On Apple.

Why didn't you fix this bug with the new firmware?

You must be able to do better than this!

Ciel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Resetting helped me get my movies back in video-app!

Thanks Pocobear, this resetting with the two buttons just really helped me out!:)

Suzz74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perfect

Go to search, type the name of another video file that you know you have in your library and click on it. That's it. This will open the new video and close the one that caused the crash.

Do not open the file that made your screen went blank. Go find it and delete it.

Hope it works for you!!

Simply brilliant solution. Works like a dream. Thanks a million!

Jessicaem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VLC Media Player is an amazing app, highly recommend! you can play any video type in iPad.

saunds777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found a quick fix for this Black Screen on 'Videos'

Just got a new Ipad2 (32G 3G)
Having read through the threads I was experiencing the exact same problem. So while in the black screen mode with no control on movies, my son suggested press the home button and on the search bar type in the name of a movie that's on your ipad and Hey Presto...it brings up the selected film in video player
click on it and it plays perfectly...

PS: found a pretty good way to copy my home DVD's onto the Ipad (ends up about 1 gig):
- Download DVD43 onto Mac or PC
- Download Handbrake onto same
- Load movie onto DVD drive,
- Select it in the handbrake menu
- Start the copy (about 2 hrs, so background task)
- Put the output handbrake file into Itunes then Sync to Ipad

Guess I can delete the alternate apps I downloaded (AV Player and Azul) ;-(

Bossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope it works for you!!
Excuse my lack of knowledge but how do I search for my other videos on the iPad?

nickj25

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope it works for you!!
Excuse my lack of knowledge but how do I search for my other videos on the iPad?

Scroll to the left from the home screen and there will be a search bar that will do a search for everything on your iPad. Just type in the name of a known video and it click on it. You will automatically be brought into the video player and your problem should be solved

Bossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hope it works for you!!

Scroll to the left from the home screen and there will be a search bar that will do a search for everything on your iPad. Just type in the name of a known video and it click on it. You will automatically be brought into the video player and your problem should be solved
Thanks for the advice Nick and the solution. It worked a treat and now have a fully functional video player :)
Slightly cheesed off at having to re-buy the TV programme but so very pleased now that all is back to normal.

Bossman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time I tried to play the offending programme it froze the video player. I can get out now using your solution so that was ok.

The video had been purchased via iTunes and I couldn't see a way to reload so I assumed it was going to be necessary to re-purchase.

Was there an alternative route?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Phone the toll free Apple Support line with your iTunes transaction reference number and explain what happened. They will re-enable the download for you. Many Members have done this successfully.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts