What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video player crashed, now just a black screen.

jodell23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help! I opened a video file earlier, crashed the player. When I tried to reopen the video app, it just opened a black screen that I couldn't navigate around in. Could only hit the home button and exit out. Tried restarting, didn't do any good. So, I restored the iPad, deleted the video that had crashed it, got everything synched back up, lost some apps in the process. Opened up a different video, worked fine. Then opened another video and the crash happened again. I'd rather not keep restoring the iPad especially since I'm away from home for a week and only have my lap top to restore it from. Any helpful ideas? Thanks.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome,
You may want to try to delete the video app on the iPad and try to re-install it again from the Apple store, not from your laptop, as the file may be corrupt on your laptop.
You could also Try a soft-reset. Close all apps then - Hold down the HOME, bottom button, and the SLEEP, top button, for about 10 seconds until the Apple icon appears. Allow it to reboot, it may take a few minutes, don't panic like I did, wait for it to reboot. Cures many weird problems on iOS devices. Try the reset first. Let us know how it comes out.

OP
J

jodell23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reset didn't work, cannot delete the video app. It's the default video player...unless you know a way to do that. Help.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try downloading another video player like VLC and see it it can play the videos. There are so many video formats and variations on them, that the built in video app may think it can play a certain video, try, then crash. Maybe try a format converter like MediaCoder, it's free, and convert to a format that the video knows how to play for sure, like QuickTime format. Click below for link to MediaCoder website.

MediaCoder - more than a universal audio/video transcoder - MediaCoder official website

hiapkkm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Ipad did the same thing couple of months ago but I was able to reset the Ipad. But it happened again. I realized that I was not tapping on DONE when I was using my composite video connection. When the problem happened again, I tried connecting the composite and sure enough, the movie that I stopped midstream was playing on the composite output. I tapped on DONE, tapped on HOME, disconnected the composite connector and tapped on VIDEO again. I got my list of movies, selected one and it played normally.

eolake

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
eReaderJoy.com
Ah yes, not leaving it in the middle of a video might do, at least that *is* what I had done. So thank you.

... And I see now that it plays again, even though yesterday even a hard reset didn't work! Kewl.

ANDYnRAD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so I'm not very tech savvy, but I'm having the same problem and it was after I exited the video app using the home button. How do you connect to the composite to close it out?
Noticing I've done this a million times before multitasking update with no ill effects, wondering if it's a glitch from update.

Last edited:

hiapkkm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connecting to a composite vidoe

The composite video is a cable sold by Apple that connects to the IPAD where you connect your usb cable. One end of the cable connects to your IPAD and the other end connects to your TV or monitor. Actually, I mentioned composite video but should have said component video where the monitor signal is divided up to red, green, blue. There is a composite video cable as well and I would imagine that it will work the same.

The cable is expensive (somewhere around $39), I would see if you could borrow one or possibly the Apple store might have a setup to try one.

Just connect your IPAD to the monitor, tap the video icon. If you have the same problem, you should see your video playing on the monitor and your IPAD should display some of the navigation buttons and the DONE button. Tap on the DONE and that should take you back to the movies list and hopefully resolve your problem.

Good Luck.

ANDYnRAD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The composite video is a cable sold by Apple that connects to the IPAD where you connect your usb cable. One end of the cable connects to your IPAD and the other end connects to your TV or monitor. Actually, I mentioned composite video but should have said component video where the monitor signal is divided up to red, green, blue. There is a composite video cable as well and I would imagine that it will work the same.

The cable is expensive (somewhere around $39), I would see if you could borrow one or possibly the Apple store might have a setup to try one.

Just connect your IPAD to the monitor, tap the video icon. If you have the same problem, you should see your video playing on the monitor and your IPAD should display some of the navigation buttons and the DONE button. Tap on the DONE and that should take you back to the movies list and hopefully resolve your problem.

Good Luck.

Thank you so much!

Mamaslush

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ANDYnRAD said:
Thank you so much!

I am having the same problem but am off traveling and don't have my computer/laptop with me. I have no composite cables and thatbwasn'tbsomethingnImwas using with it. I just want player back. Reset didn't help. Any more suggestions?

Esmallinson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hiapkkm said:

Good Luck.

Thank you so much, worked a treat ! We tried reset, re sync, but video had been streamed via apple tv and not ended correctly...... We didn't realize you could not end a video stream correctly.... We have composite cable & apple tv but fix via composite cable worked, didn't try apple tv.....

Kiran

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the similar problem. The solution is way too simple.

Forget reset or restore. All you need to do is:

Go to search, type the name of another video file that you know you have in your library and click on it. That's it. This will open the new video and close the one that caused the crash.

Do not open the file that made your screen went blank. Go find it and delete it.

Hope it works for you!!

Most reactions

Latest posts