What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Video] Heat Test - iPad 2 vs. New iPad 3.

Jagsta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

You've all probably heard of the consumer reports using thermal imaging to test the new iPad's heat levels and the iPad 3 getting pretty warm.

Well, I decided to do a quick video comparing the heat levels of the iPad 2 vs the new iPad 3 while playing games. I used an infrared heat thermometer to measure different spots on the back of the units, the new iPad got significantly hotter than the old iPad 2.

Moderation Notice:This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules No External Links

-Jagsta

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Both the measuring device and the ambient room temp matter, too. I just turned my screen up to 100% and left it that way for 20minutes (in a room at 80deg F) and got this:

IMG_2448.jpg

and it got to about 111 Deg F at about 26 minutes.

Sweetchinmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice...but you need to do it with 3 or 4 iPad3 and ipad2 to show ur getting the same stable answer, this way it's more of a 'control experiment' when you do it with just one ipad3 you might have a defective one. and also they both need to run the same game.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nice...but you need to do it with 3 or 4 iPad3 and ipad2 to show ur getting the same stable answer, this way it's more of a 'control experiment' when you do it just one ipad3 you might have a defective one.

In my case, I know that my iPad 3 is not defective. Also, my results are within the range measured by others (Consumer reports quoted 116 deg F as a max temp, but who knows what the ambient temps were). Now, if I were getting 212 Deg F, you would definitely be right! :)

Sweetchinmusic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my case, I know that my iPad 3 is not defective. Also, my results are within the range measured by others (Consumer reports quoted 116 deg F as a max temp, but who knows what the ambient temps were). Now, if I were getting 212 Deg F, you would definitely be right! :)
ok,...but I was just telling you how to conduct a true experiment...anyways I don't understand the hype behind this, we all have a 1 year warranty, if anything goes wrong apple we'll take care of it...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ok,...but I was just telling you how to conduct a true experiment...anyways I don't understand the hype behind this, we all have a 1 year warranty, if anything goes wrong apple we'll take care of it...

Yes, I realize what you were doing...but I'm not going to buy several iPads to conduct a true experiment. I will just add my little results to that of others! How about you doing one? :)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This story is totally ridiculous - how can someone claim that 116 def F is hot? They do an experiment and this is as a high a temperature they can claim? Seriously - I guess that could be claimed as being hot - for room temperature.

Most reactions