What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very confused after upgrade 4.3.3 before Jailbreak

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I am super confused.

I followed these instructions:

1. Sync in iTunes to take a current backup.
2. Restore the iPad to 4.3.3 (automatic since it is the latest version)
3. When connected to iTunes for the first time after restore, choose "restore from a previous backup"
4. Let the iPad reboot and fully sync so that all your Apps and Settings are restored.
5 Jailbreak - I suggest you follow the redsn0w tutorial which is a sticky in this section.

Before step 5, I "assumed" I would have my iPad exactly in the same condition it was in BEFORE, albeit with new firmware, but, unjailbroken.

Now, if I understand correctly, the folders function is not a Jailbreak but, is available stock. BUT, all of my folders are gone, and that is the main thing I did not want to lose. I took much time to consolidate everything into several folders, and, after this process, none of the folders remain.

Maybe I have made an "ass" of myself, but, I thought "restore from a previous backup" meant exactly that. If it does not, then, of exactly how much use is a "Restore from backup"?

Did I do something wrong? I only did things in this manner because it seemed to me to be the "cleanest" way to do things. I come from a Windows [don't shoot me] background, and, in that environment, that is often the best way to do some upgrades.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay,

Nevermind.

As soon as I downloaded and re-installed Infiniboard from Cydia, everything returned to exactly the way I had it before.

All of my folders are back, and all of my screens are again, exactly as I had them before the resstore to 4.3.3.

That is really a mystery to me.

Hackint0sh814

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My first question would be did you sync with iTunes or do a backup after you placed all your apps into your folders. When you restore from a backup it uses the last one that was created, so if you never backed up after you created all your folders and then restored your settings via a backup they would not be there.

Also did you have some sort of JB homescreen modifier app running. Until you install this again your app placement, folders, etc. won't display correctly.

OP
G

glen4cindy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hackint0sh814 said:
My first question would be did you sync with iTunes or do a backup after you placed all your apps into your folders. When you restore from a backup it uses the last one that was created, so if you never backed up after you created all your folders and then restored your settings via a backup they would not be there.

Also did you have some sort of JB homescreen modifier app running. Until you install this again your app placement, folders, etc. won't display correctly.

Well, as I posted above all is back now, but you probably didn't see that when you wrote your post.

The only screen modifier app I had was Infiniboard, which, after I reinstalled is what put everything back in order. It is just a little confusing why the folders weren't there without Infiniboard.

Anyway, I am glad things are back. I didn't want to go through the hassle of manually putting everything back.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glen, there are a multitude of cydia apps which mess with the springboard, infiniboard being one of them. When one of these apps is installed, you switch from using standard apple layout for your icons and folders and use "icon support", which is managed by mobile substrate. So, in order for you to get your layout back, which was created under these special conditions, you HAD to install at least one app which enabled "icon support" again... For you, infniboard was that app...

Hope that helps explain.

Most reactions