What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon is better than AT&T, again

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon announced their Droid X today (awesome!). Someone asked if the unlimited data plan had a cap, and the CEO confirmed that it is a completely unlimited data plan for 30 dollars. An extra 20 bucks if you want to use the WiFi hotspot feature.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Hey Matth3w, what's your thought on the hotspot thing? Do you think PDANet will be able to tap into that like they did for USB tethering? I'd think it would be really similar. At least hoping.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDANet is pretty weak speed wise imo and you have to pay more for PDANet than the 20 dollar hotspot plan if you want to use all of their services like https sites.. The Bluetooth transfer for PDANet, according to their forums, is like 300-600k per second, which is garbage. I get 20-35MB/s download using WiFi tether on my Droid currently.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
PDANet is pretty weak speed wise imo and you have to pay more for PDANet than the 20 dollar hotspot plan if you want to use all of their services like https sites.. The Bluetooth transfer for PDANet, according to their forums, is like 300-600k per second, which is garbage. I get 20-35MB/s download using WiFi tether on my Droid currently.

The $20 fee is monthly with Verizon and the purchase price of PDANet is a one time fee, unless something changed? And I know the Bluetooth is slower, I'm talking about if they open up the wifi tether through it when it comes down through 2.2 to the Incredible.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure you will have to pay for it. I use WiFi tether on a rooted Droid...I'm in southern AZ if you can't see where I am located. I would only pay for the 3G hotspot until I can root it. I wouldn't ever use PDANet if you paid ME. I'm sorry but I've seen people using PDANet and Bluetooth is just too slow to pay a penny for, one time or otherwise.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm sure you will have to pay for it. I use WiFi tether on a rooted Droid...I'm in southern AZ if you can't see where I am located. I would only pay for the 3G hotspot until I can root it. I wouldn't ever use PDANet if you paid ME. I'm sorry but I've seen people using PDANet and Bluetooth is just too slow to pay a penny for, one time or otherwise.

I realize that about Bluetooth. I know that's much slower. I'm talking about PDANet opening up the full Wifi tether when it comes down through 2.2. I think we're comparing two separate things.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand what you're asking....the phone is shipping with a WiFi tether app built in...why would you need PDANet at all anymore? You mean to make it free?

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I don't understand what you're asking....the phone is shipping with a WiFi tether app built in...why would you need PDANet at all anymore? You mean to make it free?

That's it. I should have clarified, I'm sorry. I should have said I was also referring to the Incredible as well as the new Droid (the Incredible doesn't have wifi tether yet without rooting, wireless tethering is coming with version 2.2 Froyo when the software drops for this phone).

If you try using the tether option for USB now on the Incredible, it pipelines through Verizon software unless you have PDANet to bypass (or root the phone, like you have).

What I was referring to is when the Froyo 2.2 update comes down for the Incredible, whether Verizon will cripple it unless you pay the $20 fee to wifi tether or if PDANet will create another bypass for the wifi tether like they did for USB tether.

I know what you're saying about root and I may end up doing that but I'm trying to hold off to have that as a last option. If it becomes an option, I'd rather pay the $18.95 one time to PDANet to enable wifi hotspot (tether) when it becomes viable on the Incredible via 2.2 without having to root (I understand I can root now and get wifi tether but its so deep in, I believe that's why PDANet hasn't set up programming on that one up to this point.)

It's a pain in the ass talking tech on the net without writing a book to make sure that your statements come across clearly. Sorry. :D

I think I remembered you saying you were in Germany at the moment, aren't you?

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I have an upcoming trip to Germany which complicates my order for the Droid X though because it officially comes out July 15th, which 12am 15th is 9am where I'm at and I'll be busy until lunchtime. Of course at lunch it will only be 3am in the States... :D

I have no idea to speculate about your PDANet question. I have never even considered PDANet for 1/10th of a second so I don't want to lead you astray on some random prediction.

I do find it hard to believe, and rightfully so, that Verizon would allow a company to basically steal all of it's extra WiFi hotspot revenue for 18 bucks.

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
No I have an upcoming trip to Germany which complicates my order for the Droid X though because it officially comes out July 15th, which 12am 15th is 9am where I'm at and I'll be busy until lunchtime. Of course at lunch it will only be 3am in the States... :D

I have no idea to speculate about your PDANet question. I have never even considered PDANet for 1/10th of a second so I don't want to lead you astray on some random prediction.

I do find it hard to believe, and rightfully so, that Verizon would allow a company to basically steal all of it's extra WiFi hotspot revenue for 18 bucks.

Believe it or not, PDANet has been working on the USB tether that you would normally have to port through the Verizon pipeline since it's inception and has actually worked on my Android and Windows OS phones. The wifi tether should just be an extension of that.

What's funny is, I don't know if you remember this, when the Droid line initially came out, there was no tether option through Verizon. The employees were telling people to install PDANet to get the tethering ability. ROFL

I may end up doing like you've said and root, I just hate getting into that and possibly messing with OTA updates.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No for some reason it stopped showing my location. It did before. Perhaps a mod messed with my settings >.>

rdharper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon doesn't work where I am, period. Although I'm probably a special case location wise. SE of Loma Prieta. There is a cell repeater above us that was put up by Cingular 25 years ago which thankfully AT&T has maintained. As far as the rest of the bay area, no problems with AT&T that I'm aware of.

Most reactions

Latest posts