What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon IPAD 3 usage in India

reshkraj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying the ipad3 from US to use the same in India. What is the general take on the same ? Also is it still necessary to buy the ATnT carrier ipad3 ? I understand that the Verison carrier ipad3 also has slots for GSM sims. Could someone please advice me and help me in making the choice :)

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was thinking of buying the ipad3 from US to use the same in India. What is the general take on the same ? Also is it still necessary to buy the ATnT carrier ipad3 ? I understand that the Verison carrier ipad3 also has slots for GSM sims. Could someone please advice me and help me in making the choice :)

Nope the Verizon iPad 3 uses a CDMA Technology which has no sim card slot. There are reports from some of my friends that it does work in India aswell. But Not sure. But I can gurantee for sure that the AT&T will work !! Go ahead and buy the AT&T one.

Both on 3G of course, as there is no 4G as far as I know in India !!

Hope that helps... :eek:

hderp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Verizon iPad has a SIM slot, a CDMA radio and a GSM radio. The only difference is which LTE radio they have.

That isn't a big secret, it's on the website. Maybe you should take two seconds to read before pretending you know what you're talking about?

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Verizon iPad has a SIM slot, a CDMA radio and a GSM radio. The only difference is which LTE radio they have.

That isn't a big secret, it's on the website. Maybe you should take two seconds to read before pretending you know what you're talking about?

The Apple site does not say anything about this, about Verizon variant having a GSM Slot.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Please be nice, people.

The spec page lists all the radio's of the models. The Verizon version has all the radios the AT&T model does, plus CDMA. The two LTE radios work in different bands, so they are not compatible across carriers: however the GSM radios are exactly the same. GSM requires a SIM slot.

Apple - The new iPad - View all the technical specifications.

Also LTE requires a SIM slot, just like GSM, so it's there on both models.

I believe I've heard that India is one of the few other places in the world that has CDMA. If so the Verizon unit may be the better bet; however just because it has a CDMA radio does not mean it operates on the same frequencies, or that the software can be unlocked. Best to find solid confirmation that the iPad will work in your country before purchasing a U.S. model.

hderp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Apple site does not say anything about this, about Verizon variant having a GSM Slot.

That's probably because it isn't called a "GSM Slot". It does clearly state that there is a "Micro-SIM card tray" though on the Apple website, however.

snapeed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
reshkraj said:

I am from India.

I have an ipad3 on at&t that I am using on the 3G networks in India. I read report on net about the Verizon iPad 3 not working on certain variants of 3G and resorting to edge. Also this is the first release of Verizon iPad which supports SIM. To be on safer side I bought at&t and the bet paid off.

Let me know if you have more questions.

PSSabarividesh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a new iPad 3 4G LTE AT&T vresion from US. I tried to use the Vodafone 3G sim in this iPad 3. But I don't find the SIM card try to insert the Vodafone SIM.

Can you please advice me on how to use the Vodafone 3G SIM on iPad 3 16GB 4G LTE.

Thanks in Advance !!!!!

kyubi.fox18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Fri,
I bought a iPad3 from Singapore. The model code is A1430. I heard that iPad3 Verizon Version is A1403... I thought my iPad3 was AT&T version because my iPad model code is A1430... but in iTool Software, I found out that my iPad3 is 4G CDMA version... How can I know whether my iPad3 is GSM (AT&T version) or CDMA (Verizon version)? Pls advise me.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
kyubi.fox18 said:
Hello Fri,
I bought a iPad3 from Singapore. The model code is A1430. I heard that iPad3 Verizon Version is A1403... I thought my iPad3 was AT&T version because my iPad model code is A1430... but in iTool Software, I found out that my iPad3 is 4G CDMA version... How can I know whether my iPad3 is GSM (AT&T version) or CDMA (Verizon version)? Pls advise me.

According to this chart you have the GSM version. The Verizon version is model number A1403.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5452

Most reactions

Latest posts