What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verbatim folding BT keyboard

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I picked up a Verbatim folding Bluetooth keyboard at Fry's a couple weeks ago. Has anyone else tried it? I did a comprehensive review on it, which I posted on Amazon.com but will copy and paste in my next post. I love the smaller Apple wireless keyboard, but don't want to tote it around, so it stays home.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, instead of copying and pasting my whole review here, I'll just paste the link to the Amazon.com page featuring the keyboard, description and reviews. Mine is the first review (by "Mtnmedic"). Some new reviews since I posted mine and they're rather interesting. The device isn't garnering 5-star reviews but seems solid at 4 stars. Most likely due to its unusual keyboard layout and a couple of modest design misses, depending on whose review you are reading.

If, for nothing else, this link will show you specifically what device I'm talking about. Hopefully, I'm not violating any TOS by posting this link.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-97537-Bluetooth-Mobile-Keyboard/dp/B004L9LT2E[/ame]

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm always curious about these products. The minute you said that it was like using a netbook keyboard though, I knew I didn't want it. I have a netbook, and it's the last thing I use to type with, including the touch keyboard on the iPad.

Yes, I can type a bit faster than the iPad's keyboard, but it's uncomfortable. My hands feel cramped the entire time I"m using it.

OP
Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Thanks. I'm always curious about these products. The minute you said that it was like using a netbook keyboard though, I knew I didn't want it. I have a netbook, and it's the last thing I use to type with, including the touch keyboard on the iPad.

Yes, I can type a bit faster than the iPad's keyboard, but it's uncomfortable. My hands feel cramped the entire time I"m using it.

To be clear, and I should perhaps update my review to reflect this, the keyboard has the look and feel of a Netbook keyboard but the keys are certainly generous with exception of a few oddball ones as mentioned in the review. Overall, keys-wise, it's the same as the Apple wireless keyboard. Just the design of the keys are like that you'd find on a netbook, not like the Apple wireless keyboard. I type on it as fast as the Apple keyboard now that I've gotten used to the oddball keys. It's a great portable keyboard.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So I just got my verbatim keyboard. It's working out OK. I had a zaggmate, but decided it I didn't want to be married to it all the time. I picked up a Switcheasy Canvas and the verbatim after I read the reviews. So far the pros and cons listed on the amazon site are true. The keys are shaped oddly, but you get used to them almost right away. The one key I'm still adjusting to (after all of 5 mins) is the period key. It seems pretty well made and is sturdy enough to be used on a lap. It paired seamlessly, is pretty compact, has functional iPad specific buttons, and it's not cramped to type. Overall, it's a keeper.

Last edited:

gmaines

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I returned my Zagg for the same reasons and also bought the switcheasy canvas case...which I love. Will go ahead and get the keyboard..

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my first iPad a few days ago, and as I already owned this keyboard, I decided to use them together. I'm a touch typist, so I'm still getting used to the placement of a few of the keys. However, that is something I experience EVERY time I migrate to a new or different keyboard, so that's par for the course IMO.

The one thing that I had to do, by way of adjusting to its use, was to find something flat to put in my lap. I like to use a wireless keyboard in my lap as I sit on the sofa. My laptop sits on a TV tray and I use a wireless keyboard for it in this way. When I tried to use the Verbatim keyboard in my lap, I found that the central hinge flexes a little bit under pressure when there's nothing supporting the center of the keyboard. This was throwing my typing off. So I got something sturdy and flat to rest the keyboard on. End of problem. Now I can type in my lap all I want.

I seriously like the fact that the audio playback keys can be used to navigate in a YouTube video. I like the HOME button, also. I'm glad I am reading the review that mtnmedic wrote, though, because otherwise, I wouldn't have known about the uses of the Menu key. That's a nice feature.

I am using a separate, inexpensive iPad stand that I got for $5 at Five Below, a discount store in my area that sells items for $5 or less. The combination of that stand and this keyboard are enough to allow me to take my time in deciding which keyboard/case combination I would like to invest in. *IF* I decide to invest in one at all. That's going to depend on how I feel after I put some mileage on this Verbatim keyboard... if my existing setup really works well for me, maybe I won't even need a keyboard case.

maleaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So gabey, do you like it overall? A keyboard case could come in handy!

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do like it. I've been practicing with it, in order to get used to the key placement, because my goal is to take meeting minutes with it. It hasn't taken long for me to get myself pretty much up to my normal typing speed, so I'm pleased with that.

I still may end up with a keyboard case, but at least now I can take my time about choosing one -- not to mention, I can now wait until a few more iPad 3 compatible cases hit the market. I've seen some reviews about some instances where a case designed for an iPad 2 was either an extra-snug fit on an iPad 3, if the newer iPad fit at all, or else the magnets didn't quite line up, etc. So I'm thinking that holding off on making a keyboard-case purchase until the manufacturers have had some time to tweak the design is probably a good idea.

Most reactions

Latest posts