What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using my late father's old iPad

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple didn’t put any block on the iPad, your father did when he set up find my iPad. Activation lock applies to all devices new and old. Apple has to be perfectly satisfied that you are the legal owner of the iPad before they’ll remove the Activation Lock. They have to be careful because there are so many thieves and scammers trying to activate devices they obtained illegally.
Apple is not responsible for updating apps or ensuring they will remain compatible with older iOS versions. The app developers are the ones that no longer support apps that run on such old devices. The new apps require more computing power than your old iPad has.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple didn’t put any block on the iPad, your father did when he set up find my iPad. Activation lock applies to all devices new and old. Apple has to be perfectly satisfied that you are the legal owner of the iPad before they’ll remove the Activation Lock. They have to be careful because there are so many thieves and scammers trying to activate devices they obtained illegally.
Apple is not responsible for updating apps or ensuring they will remain compatible with older iOS versions. The app developers are the ones that no longer support apps that run on such old devices. The new apps require more computing power than your old iPad has.

My father didn't put any blocks at all in the ipad. In fact, I set it up for my father at the time when I bought the Ipad and gave it to him, because he didn't know anything about Ipad or computers. I didn't put any blocks at all into the ipad.

I can log in to the ipad no problem even now. But there is this pop-up window from Apple Store keeps popping up, and ask me to authenticate.
I cancel it, but it keeps coming up. It is really annoying.
It also blocked the Youtube App access from the Ipad. I can access Youtube no problem with my PC or my own Ipad. But this my late father's Ipad cannot access Youtube - it says "The ipad is blocked to access Youtube due to out of band errors" whatever that means.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the old ipad again, and it keeps prompting "APPLE ID authentication" pop-up box, with my late father's email address and password (which I don't have). It also blocks Youtube access saying "Invalid IOS Request".

This ipad had been working ok upto last year, but it is started doing this blockings making it impossible to use. I was going to do factory reset on this ipad, but not sure if it will work after that. The answers from this Forum I got was NO.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you try to erase all content and settings and it asks for the Apple ID and the password you don’t have, then you can’t restore it. If it doesn’t ask for that Apple ID and password it should restore. That being said, not many apps will work on an iPad that old.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you try to erase all content and settings and it asks for the Apple ID and the password you don’t have, then you can’t restore it. If it doesn’t ask for that Apple ID and password it should restore. That being said, not many apps will work on an iPad that old.

I just wanted to reuse the device hardware, not the apps. I wanted to do the clean factory reset, and it will just give me IOS, and I was going to install Youtube or use youtube from the Safari browser. They said it is not even possible? I couldn't believe it.

I have my own old Ipad which was bought at the same time with my late father's one. I bought 2x ipad exactly same spec. (mine has SIM card option) 10 year ago. My own Ipad works with Youtube no problem. My late father's Ipad doesn't.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The YouTube app no longer works on iPads that old.

My own Ipad works with Youtube no problem. My late father's Ipad doesn't wth the ERROR message.
The 2x ipads are exactly same spec. bought on the same day.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When was the YouTube app installed on your iPad? The AppStore says that the current version of the YouTube app requires iOS/iPadOS 14.0. Was YouTube installed on your father’s iPad when you inherited it?

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When was the YouTube app installed on your iPad? The AppStore says that the current version of the YouTube app requires iOS/iPadOS 14.0. Was YouTube installed on your father’s iPad when you inherited it?

Both my own ipad and my late father's ipad have same version of Youtube apps. They have been installed at the same time. My own ipad Youtube works flawlessly. My late father's ipad youtube cannot access Youtube with the error msg "Invalid IOS Request" "Out of Bands error".

I have been using my late father's Ipad until last year from 2017 when my father passed away. But it started prompting for Apple ID authentication, and Youtube access blocking last year. I just put it away and forgot about it, until a couple of days ago, when I took it out trying to use it again, but found that it was doing the same thing continuous Apple ID authentication prompt, and Blocking Youtube access with the error message.

My own Ipad works fine for Youtube access. They are the same version of Youtube apps.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m not sure if this is possible but I thought that if you erase the iPad you can start over again.

Most reactions