What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using my late father's old iPad

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All

I found this old ipad. This is not the very original ipad, but maybe just after it. It seems using IOS 10.x
Anyway, when I started it, and trying to use some apps, it is blocking use, and prompts to authenticate Apple ID.
And there is email address, that my father used to use. I don't know the password for the email or Apple ID.

What is the best way to authenticate this ipad, and re-use it for me?

Thanks

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi All

I found this old ipad. This is not the very original ipad, but maybe just after it. It seems using IOS 10.x
Anyway, when I started it, and trying to use some apps, it is blocking use, and prompts to authenticate Apple ID.
And there is email address, that my father used to use. I don't know the password for the email or Apple ID.

What is the best way to authenticate this ipad, and re-use it for me?

Thanks
There’s no way around authentication of an Apple device if you are not the owner.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Afraid not.

That's not good for Apple company reputation. I actually paid for the Ipad and gave it to my late father. My late father had been using it for maybe 2-3 years before passing. And it is hardly used hardware.
I wanted to make use of it for doing youtube videos, as my own Ipad runs out of battery sooner recently.

Making it unusable for other users even in the family without even possibility of reinitialisation, especially when it had been paid by me, sounds something not quite right, and unreasonable act by Apple company.

Last edited:

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's not good for Apple company reputation. I actually paid for the Ipad and gave it to my late father. My late father had been using it for maybe 2-3 years before passing. And it is hardly used hardware.
I wanted to make use of it for doing youtube videos, as my own Ipad runs out of battery sooner recently.

Making it unusable for other users even in the family without even possibility of reinitialisation, especially when it had been paid by me, sounds something not quite right, and unreasonable act by Apple company.
Apple takes security and privacy very seriously.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple takes security and privacy very seriously.

It sounds like excuse for forcing users to scrap the legacy hardware and buy more new models.

I feel they are over the top. It has become nuisance for even using my own Ipad having to sign-in so many times unnecessarily. I lost few auction bids due to that passwd texts arriving late.

But in this case, I feel being robbed for the hardware I paid for, and not being able to use it due to authentication non sense stipulated by Apple company. We are switching over to Samsung and WINDOWS platform lately. None of the other companies make their old legacy hardware unusable on the basis authentication problems. Apple seems the only company practicing this mindless senseless addlepated non sense.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple is only trying to ensure that only the owner or authorized user is able to access the device. The age of the device has nothing to do with your problem and would apply even if the iPad was the latest model purchased yesterday, if the Apple ID password was not known.
Since when is such attention to security mindless and senseless?
You’ll find that the security on Android devices and Windows PCs is easier for hackers to bypass.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is only trying to ensure that only the owner or authorized user is able to access the device. The age of the device has nothing to do with your problem and would apply even if the iPad was the latest model purchased yesterday, if the Apple ID password was not known.
Since when is such attention to security mindless and senseless?
You’ll find that the security on Android devices and Windows PCs is easier for hackers to bypass.

It sounds just excuse, market ploy or control freak making the legacy hardwares unusable on the basis of some authentication non sense. I am the legit owner of the old Ipad now (my late father left everything to me), but cannot access or reinitialise the ipad for my own use.

So this old ipad with good working condition has to be scrapped or binned? Surely, that is not what anyone with proper sense would want to see.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These policies apply to all apple hardware, not just legacy devices. If you could find the original sales receipt for the iPad Apple may be able to help.
I’m not doubting that you’re now the legal owner of the iPad but you have to convince Apple. They’re not going to take your word for it unless you have proof.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These policies apply to all apple hardware, not just legacy devices. If you could find the original sales receipt for the iPad Apple may be able to help.
I’m not doubting that you’re now the legal owner of the iPad but you have to convince Apple. They’re not going to take your word for it unless you have proof.

Thanks for your understanding the situation. When I tried to access the ipad this morning, and it was keep blocking me, I was getting very angry at Apple company.

I take it, I must contact Apple Support for solving this problem. This is pure mad inconvenience when I paid for the 2x ipads and gave one to my father 10 year ago, and kept one for myself - still in use.
I do nothing more than accessing Youtube channels for listening to the lectures and uploading some of my own videos with the ipad. As I said my own ipad was getting run out of the battery taking too long to charge due to much use. So I thought I was going to use my late father's old ipad which was left to me. I am not sure who to contact for resolving the blocks they put on the ipad, but it is much time waste inconvenience due to their over the top scare hacking scenarios - I am not even sure if hacking is that common problem. It never happened to me. Don't trust all the scare monger stories on the media - full of lies and propaganda.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple can indeed be annoying, but your plight was intended to reduce iPad theft by making a stolen tablet worthless and unsellable. This is why authentication credentials should be shared with family members, or at least written down where a trusted person can find them. Even easier, I added my wife's thumbprint to TouchID.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple can indeed be annoying, but your plight was intended to reduce iPad theft by making a stolen tablet worthless and unsellable. This is why authentication credentials should be shared with family members, or at least written down where a trusted person can find them. Even easier, I added my wife's thumbprint to TouchID.

Good points, thanks. But I still cannot see their point.
It is like saying your father has left a car but no one knows where he left the car keys, so the manufacturer designed the car to turn into a pile of rock because someone might come and steal it. The only way for you to deal with it is to dispose of it to the scrap yard. It doesn't make sense.

Anyway why because of some tiny minority case of theft and hackings by some careless users and criminals, we the majority of normal users have to suffer the most hideous and extreme measure of the authentication requirements and demands of Apple? It just begs a lot of questions for the company.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you originally bought the iPad you gave to your father and later inherited, do you still have the receipt? This would enable Apple to turn off the Activation Lock so you could use the iPad.

OP
S

SimpleUser2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you originally bought the iPad you gave to your father and later inherited, do you still have the receipt? This would enable Apple to turn off the Activation Lock so you could use the iPad.

I don't keep receipts as long as 10 years. I don't think anyone does. I inherited my daughter's window 10 laptop, and there was no problem reinitialising to factory settings, and using it. My wife gave me her Samsung A8 mobile phone when she was getting a new one, and only thing I had to was ordering a new SIM card, and no problem using it.

Why does Apple make the old hardware unusable by just factory resetting - that is mystery to me. They must see the purchase receipt going back 10 years to clear the block they put on the device?? Don't they need my birth certificate and medical records too? Silly people.

Most of the apps in the device don't even work due to having been outdated (why do they keep outdate the perfectly working apps making them unusable and demand updating?????? - another mystery scam I don't understand) , and it is not worth much. It can only do Internet browsing and access Youtube - no one will try to even steal the old Ipad. But it is matter of principle, why do I have to go and fork out hundreds for a new Ipad when this old one will do all I need accessing youtube and read news on the browser?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts