What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Mail on a shared iPad

gto1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried searching but wasn't sure what to search for. My question here is if there is a way to use the ipad's mail app (yahoo) on an iPad that is shared without having the mail account always active? I love the mail app and would like to continue using it but I have to delete the account every time I hand the iPad over to anyone for privacy reasons. When creating the account I tried inputting an incorrect password so that I would just have to enter the password only each time I use it but the account can't be created if the password is incorrect. Has anyone gone through this before and if so, what was your fix? Thanks in advance.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TUAW's Daily App: Mailboxes for iPad

Also, go to the login page for yahoo mail in safari. Click the + button and select "Add to Home Screen". That will create a link to the yahoo sign in page on your home screen, which you will have to sign in each time to access, unless of course you tell safari to remember your password.

Not exactly what you were asking for, but the best solutions i could find.

Last edited:
OP
G

gto1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried this but it keeps asking me to confirm my I'd/password combo. Will this work with a yahoo account? I didn't see yahoo mentioned anywhere.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried this but it keeps asking me to confirm my I'd/password combo. Will this work with a yahoo account? I didn't see yahoo mentioned anywhere.

The mailboxes app is for gmail only I think. My second suggestion would work with yahoo mail perfectly though.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Individual email accounts can be temporarily turned off without deletion in the settings email menu, then restored at any time. Those accounts won't appear when the iPad email app is opened. Unless someone goes into settings, they will never see the account.

OP
G

gto1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I agree and am aware of that option, but so are the other users of my iPad. If there was away to keep the account without the password populated then it would be no problem. Thanks for the tip.

MikeTemple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.templeofipad.com
This is frustrating - the iPad is clearly designed as a one-user device.

I wish there was a way of logging in as a user of the device, so that I can keep my apps, safari sessions and bookmarks separate from my wife's.

It's a pain to pick my iPad up and find all the Safari sessions I had open are now replaced with ebay and holiday websites!

OP
G

gto1970

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sentiments exactly. May come down to just buying another one for the old lady and then I can use mine exclusively.

Amorissette

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
I don't think that there is an elegant way to do this. Don't forget, it's called an"I"pad, not a "we"pad. It is designed for a single owner. Just like th eIPhone, IPod etc.

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate people who do this, but I will make an exception for myself. Get rid of your Yahoo account and get a gmail account. Its a much better overall experience and its much more feature rich and compatible with everything. Also, people actually develop around gmail, while no one does for Yahoo mail. You can probably set up your Yahoo account to forward all of your emails to gmail, and then use the Mailboxes app I linked to.

Most reactions

Latest posts