What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using iPhone charger on iPad???

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPhone charger looks nothing like my iPad charger so I have no trouble keeping track of which is which. I have a Verizon iPhone4 and an iPad1.

Since my iPhone charger is smaller I carry that one around with me in my purse and use it to charge my iPhone and iPad if needed while out and about. The iPad charger stays in my bedroom and I use it to charge while at home. So far I have had no issues using the iPhone charger on the iPad and vice versa.

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i dont know if its a 100 percent correct, but i believe using less wattage and taking longer to charge will give the battery better life as compared to doing a quick fast charge. for example using a ipad charger 10watt on the iphone will cause the battery to die faster if you do this a lot.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my label maker and put iPod or iPad on the appropriate charger.

Me, too.

And on the USB cord plug, I put a tiny bead of red nail polish, so I can see and feel which side should face downward when I plug it into my iPad, iPhone or touch. I can easily plug in even when the room is dark.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
Here's what I do to avoid confusion between our iPad and an iPhone/iPod adapters:

Nah. That makes too much sense. 

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have this problem because my chargers are the original ones so the iPad one is massive and the iPhone is an ordinary plug but if I did get the ones described that would be a brilliant idea to label them! By the way, lovely to see you Michael! Long time no see!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kingnba6 said:
i dont know if its a 100 percent correct, but i believe using less wattage and taking longer to charge will give the battery better life as compared to doing a quick fast charge. for example using a ipad charger 10watt on the iphone will cause the battery to die faster if you do this a lot.

That's not really how adapters work. Essentially they are transformers which convert up or down the current and voltage supplied from the source to the rated capacity - for example, on the iPad adapter, it accepts 100-240 volts and steps it down to 5.1 volts at 2.1 amps.

But adapters do not "push" the charge to the device (they're more like a "gate" than a "pump", in a sense) - rather, the power unit inside the device (e.g. iPad or iPhone) will draw as much as needed to charge. That means an iPhone on a iPad adapter will still draw 5 volts at 1 amp (i.e. 5 watts), even though the adapter can supply a higher charge if needed; conversely, an iPad on a iPhone adapter will take longer to charge as the iPhone adapter delivers half the required current.

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
kingnba6 said:

That's not really how adapters work. Essentially they are transformers which convert up or down the current and voltage supplied from the source to the rated capacity - for example, on the iPad adapter, it accepts 100-240 volts and steps it down to 5.1 volts at 2.1 amps.

But adapters do not "push" the charge to the device (they're more like a "gate" than a "pump", in a sense) - rather, the power unit inside the device (e.g. iPad or iPhone) will draw as much as needed to charge. That means an iPhone on a iPad adapter will still draw 5 volts at 1 amp (i.e. 5 watts), even though the adapter can supply a higher charge if needed; conversely, an iPad on a iPhone adapter will take longer to charge as the iPhone adapter delivers half the required current.

thanks for clearing it up for me !

sami

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I lost my ipad charger, and currently use my car's ipod cable to charge the ipad! Is that Ok? or it will damage my battery?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I lost my ipad charger, and currently use my car's ipod cable to charge the ipad! Is that Ok? or it will damage my battery?

That's just fine - no damage will result from you using this iPod car adaptor charger - though it may take longer than with the regular iPad charger.

Tim

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Just curious if you're only charging your iPad in the car? There are inexpensive 120v car charger adapters, such as the one shown below, that will allow 'in house' charging, if desired; of course, a new iPad wall charger may not be that much different in price? :)

00519_product-250x250.jpg

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
I don't have this problem because my chargers are the original ones so the iPad one is massive and the iPhone is an ordinary plug but if I did get the ones described that would be a brilliant idea to label them! By the way, lovely to see you Michael! Long time no see!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Good to see you too. Yeah, been away for a while. Lots of things going on here. Big life changes as well.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anonaboat said:
Hummm...If we flip-flop the initial question...can you use the iPad charger for the iPhone?

I certainly do and I use the iPhone charger to charge my iPad2, especially at night.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman said:
Just curious if you're only charging your iPad in the car? There are inexpensive 120v car charger adapters, such as the one shown below, that will allow 'in house' charging, if desired; of course, a new iPad wall charger may not be that much different in price? :)

Not really needed. If you have an accessory outlet in the car it should be labeled someplace as to the output, use one of the car USB adapters (check it's output). As long as both are 2 amps you are all set for a charge.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not really needed. If you have an accessory outlet in the car it should be labeled someplace as to the output, use one of the car USB adapters (check it's output). As long as both are 2 amps you are all set for a charge.

Well, my point was not having one's car as the only charging option - ;)

Personally, I like multiple choices - :)

Most reactions

Latest posts