What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chargers quesion - relates to ipad/ ipod!

MistressMarcia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a worrying question... Which may seem a bit silly, but I really want to know.
If you buy a charger in America, and use it in Australia, does it still work?
Because in July, I'll be going to America, and I want to buy myself an iPod there, because it's a lot cheaper than if you buy it in Australia. But the problem is, a friend I know got an iPad in Singapore, and in the end, she had to use a converter to charge it because the charger wouldn't work in Australia without something extra. So... I've heard that generally, electric sockets in America are 110V, whereas in Australia, they tend to be 230V (I think). So if it doesn't work, will I have to buy a second charger for it in Australia? Can I use my iPad charger for an iPod?
Thanks!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My US bought charger says input: 110V - 240V. You might need a different plug on the end. I don't know, but the prongs come off so apparently something else can slide on there. It might be universal except for the prong.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like AQ_OC says, check the specs on the charger. They probably say 110-240VAC, 50-60Hz. This should cover most of the worlds electrical supplies. US is 120V, 60Hz. From my experience, nearly all device chargers are rated this way.

I take mine to England and Australia. They work great there. Yes, you need a plug adapter, available near universally.

Most reactions