What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad charger vs iPhone charger...

XDRoX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a difference? I assume that the iPad charger is more powerful, but I'm only guessing. Is it OK to use my iPad charger to charge my iPhone? And vice versa?

Also has there been a change in iPad chargers in power hroughhe generations? I have an iPad1 and 3.
I assume they're the same chargers in power?

Thanks

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi XD... - welcome to the forum! :)

Chargers produce POWER, i.e. wattage which is Voltage x Amperage - the iPad charger is 10 watts (i.e. 5V x 2Amps); the chargers for the iPhone & iPod are 5 watts (i.e. half the amperage) - but to answer your question, YES there is a difference - you need the more powerful wattage for the iPad (despite a trickle charge w/ the lower wattage chargers which will shows that your iPad is NOT charging); OTOH, you can certainly use the iPad charger for your iPhone & iPod (I do the latter often) - hope this helps - :thumbs:

Most reactions

Latest posts