What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad charger charged my iPhone REALLY slowly... should I not be using it?

wildside50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife was using the only iPhone charger in the house so I figured, hey, I'll charge my iPhone with my fancy new iPad charger. I plugged it in for over 4 hours, and that got me from 16% to 54%. I found this odd, so I unplugged it and plugged it into the iphone charger, where it went from 54% to 75% in about 15 minutes, more or less the expected rate.

Is this normal behavior? Should I not be charging my iPhone with my iPad charger?

Thanks in advance.

Fedricwalls

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife was using the only iPhone charger in the house so I figured, hey, I'll charge my iPhone with my fancy new iPad charger. I plugged it in for over 4 hours, and that got me from 16% to 54%. I found this odd, so I unplugged it and plugged it into the iphone charger, where it went from 54% to 75% in about 15 minutes, more or less the expected rate.

Is this normal behavior? Should I not be charging my iPhone with my iPad charger?

Thanks in advance.
You can charged your iPhone with iPad charger, if it takes less much for charging your device. I never try this experiment to my Apple's device, now ready to examine it with my iPad, iPod and iPhone.

rlapoint

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use the iPhone and iPad charger for both the iPhone and the iPad. True that the iPhone charger is slow for the iPad but it works fine. I just use the iPhone charger for the iPad overnight....100% when i get up in the morning.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

No, I do this all the time and it works fine for me. There is no reason this should not work.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works fine for me and everyone at work who borrows my iPad charger to charge their iPhones. I leave an OEM iPad charger in a drawer at work, and lots of people use it.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I charge my iPad with nearly any charger having a USB output (including generic amazon car charger, android phone charger, iGo charger, airplane USB port, wall outlet usb port, computer, etc....) They all appear to work. The only question is how long it takes. I assume this is based simply on the amount of current (power) able to be supplied by the charger. I also assume that this is the same for an iPhone or iPod, but I don't own either.

I have no explanation why an iPad charger would be slower for charging an iPod/iPhone/iXxx than an iPhone charger. What is the current rating for the iPod/iPhone charger? Is it higher than that of the iPad charger?

Last edited:

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Surely there's a risk the iPad charger could fry the iPhone? The iPad charger is higher power than an iPhone charger. I'm no electrician... but if the iPhone is designed to be charged by a low power charger and you plug a higher power iPad charger into it then could the iPhone be damaged? A friend of mine used an iPad charger to juice up her iPhone and she said the iPhone got quite warm while it was being charged which doesn't happen when charging with the iPhone charger. To be honest I dont really know the answer, but personally I wouldn't risk my iPhone by charging it up with an iPad charger... unless someone suitably qualified told me it's absolutely safe to do so.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been doing this since getting the iPad. The iPhone gets charged quicker that's all. My 3GS is still working for my hubby so I don't think you have any worries.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Surely there's a risk the iPad charger could fry the iPhone? The iPad charger is higher power than an iPhone charger. I'm no electrician... but if the iPhone is designed to be charged by a low power charger and you plug a higher power iPad charger into it then could the iPhone be damaged? A friend of mine used an iPad charger to juice up her iPhone and she said the iPhone got quite warm while it was being charged which doesn't happen when charging with the iPhone charger. To be honest I dont really know the answer, but personally I wouldn't risk my iPhone by charging it up with an iPad charger... unless someone suitably qualified told me it's absolutely safe to do so.

No risk.

Apple's iPad charger is listed on their website as compatible with iPod touch, iPhone and iPad

Most reactions