What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

User review: Saddleback Leather Case

Cidgrad90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First let me say, it is everything that I thought that it would be and more. If you have seen the video on the Saddleback Leather website and you like the feel and look of old fashion leather products, then what are you waiting for?

The iPad case from Saddleback Leather is my second product that I have purchased from this company. The first is a large briefcase. I have a soft spot in my heart for nostalgic looking and useful items, and Saddleback Leather has helped fill that.

The iPad case is extremely sturdy. With the exception of the latch straps, it is one piece of leather. The stitching is done with heavy thread that won't be breaking anytime soon. All of the cutouts provide easy access to every switch, button, and port. When the case first arrived the new leather was very stiff and break-in is taking some time. I have been using my case now for over two months and I have just now broken in the spine enough that I can fold it completely over and lay flat in the open position. As the leather becomes soft and stretches to accommodate the iPad better, there is some play in the case where the iPad slides slightly. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but I do have to press the iPad back down to make sure I can connect the power cord to the port.

When the case is folded open and the cover straps are reinserted into the loops, the iPad stands nicely as a monitor. (As I type this, I am using an bluetooth keyboard, with the iPad in case standing on my lap.) I recently flew on a business trip and used my iPad to watch episodes of Hogan's Heros during the flight. It worked great.

My particular case is in the dark coffee brown color. In the two months I have had it, it has taken quite a beating. And while it does not look new anymore, it actually looks better, a lot like an old leather coat after years of wear.

If you are looking for a great looking and functional case, then this is a case you should definitely put high on your list. I realize that the case is on the more expensive side, but the quality and construction are worth every penny.

Update Jan. 27, 2011: I have recently found one flaw with this case that is a minor inconvenience. The cutout for the power/accessory port is to small to accommodate the Apple camera and memory card adapters. I have contacted Saddleback Leather and am awaiting for their response. While this is an inconvenience, it is not a show stopper to me. I still love this case. Maybe they will take mine back and make the opening bigger.

CidGrad90
iPad - 64 GB, 3G

Last edited:

dustoff69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd you post this....I too have the Saddleback iPad case. it was the second product I purchased from them after a large carbon black briefcase. I agree with every thing in your review. I love this case more each day.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any word from Saddleback about the port cutout yet? Also, can I please see pics of these cases broken in a bit?

TND

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, it's gonna help me decide which case i'm gonna buy ^^

OP
C

Cidgrad90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any word from Saddleback about the port cutout yet? Also, can I please see pics of these cases broken in a bit?

I will try to get pictures later tonight. As for the port cutout. They are aware, but nothing further has been said. I would recommend contacting them directly.

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. I can't wait to see the pics. Mine should be arriving this week. Woo hoo!!!

However, in regards to the port issue. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fixed after talking to 2 people this week. But for me it's not a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much Bob...Love the way the leather breaks in...Can start to see the creases and marks that makes anything from Saddleback look vintage and cool (IMHO)...Can't wait for mine to arrive and then break in like a well oiled gloved...Thanks again!!!

OP
C

Cidgrad90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPadOhana, you will love it! You have the right attitude for the product. The more beating it takes, the better it looks. I am thinking about dragging mine behind mine mower when I cut the grass for the first time this Spring. :)

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPadOhana, you will love it! You have the right attitude for the product. The more beating it takes, the better it looks. I am thinking about dragging mine behind mine mower when I cut the grass for the first time this Spring. :)

LOL that could add a cool green undertone to the cocoa color. Very chic!! LOL

Yah, the more broken in the better they get. With age comes beauty in leather goods ;-) hmmm.. So contrary to life. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got mine yesterday and love it!!!! Can't wait for the leather to break in a bit. But I plan on taking it everywhere so it shouldn't take too long. Did I say I LOVED IT... LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cidgrad90

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whenever possible fold it completely open and lay something on it. It will help break in the spine.

Most reactions

Latest posts