What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yoobao Executive vs. Sena Florence vs. Vaja Libretto reviews

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
In my quest for the perfect leather case I finally arrived at the Vaja Libretto, here are my experiences:

First I got the Yoobao executive case believing it is a "real" leather case.
+ it is quite affordable
+ the latest versions do not smell that bad
+ it fits nicely
+ leather feels OK
+ the magnetic closure problems are gone
- the magnetic closure doesnt work reliably
- the leather isnt high quality
- the cutouts on mine were looking really bad

Verdict: If you are not obsessed with the perfect leather this is OK without major problems. Maybe order two and keep the better one.

Then I got the Sena Florence, with smooth leather which looks very natural with some imperfections (veins) on the back
+ excellent leather
+ pretty slim / lightweight
+ feels very nice holding it
+ cutouts are perfectly done
- needs some time to fit to the ipad
- front parts still stand off a little, dust gets under the sides
- magnetic closure only works when magnet perfectly aligned
- top flap bends a little

Verdict: If you want something "affordable" and elegant with real leather and do not care to much about minor inconveiniences, this is great, I really learned to love it.

Finally it is here, the Vaja Libretto. I was not sure if I would keep it after I really got accustomed to the Sena, but this is in a class of it's own.

First, holding it feels just perfect. It isn't as slim as I expected because it is padded a little and front and back are very sturdy.

Then the look of it - the leather and metal applications look every bit as great as on the photos. It doesn't hide the front at all and leaves the short sides/one corner free so you can see more of the iPad which contrasts so nice with the leather. Microfiber inside looks great too.

Finally the functionality: First, leaving the button parts open makes them much more accessible. The magnetic closure works perfectly and it holds the top flap (not to lose not to tight IMO). And the front flap is very sturdy, so it is perfectly flat.

Negative points? You can find some if you are looking for them:
- it is the thickest/heaviest of the three, altough it doesnt have an extra layer of leather on the front.
- one corner is "vulnerable" (I dont plan dropping it, so I dont care)
- the magnet doesnt hold the front flap perfectly tight - you can shake it off
- the toungue on the back is a little small - the only critzism I care about

Verdict: If you simply want the best (elegant) case money can buy, get this. I cant believe what a step this still is compared to the Sena. If you are not going for elegance, Oberon and Saddleback are other options.

The Pielframa iMagnum might be as good in quality too, but getting a back cover with excellent leather and then put the "low quality leather" of the smart cover on top wasn't an option for me. Classic & Cinema models might be worth a look if you dont care about the sides of the front being covered.

Last edited:

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a Vaja Libretto case as well in black. Very nice case, but I find I'm not using it much because I'm often carrying my iPad 2 in my laptop bag and don't want to mar the gorgeous Vaja leather (I use my Switcheasy Canvas for that). Will probably eBay it soon so someone else can feel the love. It really is a gorgeous case. Spendy at $200 of course.

I've got Vaja cases on all my gadgets. I'm a fan.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kukulcan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.time-tours.com
attachment.php

Mine is actually faulty, I will get a new one.

It was easy to get the iPad in and I found that using only gentle pressure on that corner the iPad can slip out easily (and for 160€ I dont want it to look like this anyway).

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yoobao and Vaja are good examples of the quality of leather from opposite ends of the spectrum, as indeed their prices would suggest.

Yoobao's polyurethane 'leather' is derived from discarded material and bonded with polyurethane (hence the name) and is 'genuine' in the same way that dog food is sometimes advertised as 'containing real beef'. To some extent they count on the ignorance of casual users who don't know or expect much about leather. Vaja is made from grain leather, which is the most resilient and fully possesses the characteristics of leather that matures and conditions over time with constant usage.

Most reactions