What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather Book style cases

johnhyunyoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with getting 2 cases. I would get a robust one to protect my iPad during travel (even though I would probably have it on my person almost at all times) and I would get a nice, sleek, professional looking one for work.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zaccolbert said:
I'm also thinking about getting a leather case, however I travel a lot with work and am wondering if leather casing will be robust enough, or if i should go for less style but more protection, what do you guys think?

A good quality leather, such as top-grain or full-grain leather, is practically impervious to anything, and has the added benefit of becoming more supple with continuous daily use. I have a full-grain leather iPad case from Oberon Design, which has literally travelled around the world with me for over a year now and it looks just as splendid today as the day it arrived. Unless you're particularly hard on your electronics, even an "average" case would provide more than adequate protection for every day use.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iGirl said:
I'm looking for recommendations - on a budget for a REAL LEATHER portfolio type case... So here I am asking if anyone found a real leather case that functions well - doesn't obscure any part of the screen or connectors - and looks really nice/high end. I'm using the iPad as a client presentation tool so impressions are important, and ideally it would be soft and luxurious looking and feeling.

The important distinction to make here is that "real leather" itself is a vague term, as leather comes in many, many grades, from the high-end quality hides to the barely-legal "genuine leather" made of 98% polyurethane bonded to 2% rejected hide.

The best quality leather is top-grain and full-grain leather, and they are expensive because of the amount of effort, time and tanning materials used to prepare them, coupled with the fact that quality craftsmen (whose skill commands a premium) do not work with inferior leathers. In fact, "genuine leather" often is a mid-to-poor quality leather - after all, if a vendor could legally state that they were using full-grain leather, they would say that rather than using a vague term - and is sometimes used to disguise the fact that the material contains synthetics like polyurethane, which also makes the material cheaper, hence the prolificity of $25 "genuine leather" cases on eBay. (Polyurethane is a by-product of petroleum, which is why sometimes items made from this material have a "oily smell.")

That said, my leather cover of choice is Oberon Design (http://oberondesign.com). Each of their covers are handmade to order in a studio near San Francisco, and feature some remarkable designs hotstamped onto leather. And because it is a top-grain leather, it gets better with age, yet remains impervious to every day wear and tear.

12511.jpg

jiuwenlong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If appereance is so important why don't u buy the louis vuitton ipad case? I'm sure people will notice rather than buying $100 but almost look like $30

OP
iGirl

iGirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I did end up with the Targus case http://www.targus.com/us/productdetail.aspx?regionId=7&sku=THZ06201US&PageName=&bcname=VGFibGV0IENhc2Vz&bclink=cHJvZHVjdGxpc3QuYXNweD9yZWdpb25JZD03JnByb2R1Y3RDYXRlZ29yeUlkPTMx

I
t's a good compromise of protection, style and function without the risk of buying something too cheap looking or poorly made.
I don't know if I'll ever actually use the pockets, but they are nice to have. Maybe business cards, rate cards, samples etc?

The iPad fits very securely in it, but the retainers do encroach on the headphone out and power button (power still works fine, but must adjust a retainer to access the headphone) - not a deal breaker and a small trade off for the level of quality this case has for the price I paid ($27 shipped NEW on eBay!).

The inside is lined with a nice super soft suede giving it the feel of a display pad at a jeweler's store. Also included is a soft screen smudge cleaner pad - which I thought was silly when I first saw it included - but it's actually quite useful and excellent!

Overall the case has the look, smell and feel of a tightly built portfolio that's a bit like a leather bound personal journal.

Waynec

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try going to Lusso Cartella. They have what high end leather and a pretty unique design.

charliko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am most satisfied with the Bear Motion case especially designed for my ipad 2. It also allows for the close / turn it off and open it and turn it on feature. Happy camper here.

Most reactions

Latest posts