What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

User Accounts & backing up iPad

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me see if I can explain this my wife and I share our office desktop computer (PC) but we both have our own User Accounts. On my wife's User Account I set up iTunes with her own Apple Account and under my User Account I have iTunes set up with my own Apple Account. My wife got an iPad Mini for Xmas and I got an iPad 4 but she decided to return her white one for a black one.

Ok before I sent hers back I backed it up in iTunes to our computer but didn't realize until after I had sent it back I had backed it up in iTunes under my User Account instead of hers. So when I open iTunes under my User Account I not only have my iPad backed up but also her iPad Mini.

I hope this is all making sense since I backed up her iPad Mini in iTunes under my User Account if I restore it from there will it link her iPad to my Apple account? If so it looks like I would be better off setting it up from scratch again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go ahead and try to restore it from the backup you made.

If it doesn't work out you can always clear it out by going to Settings > General > Reset, and choosing Erase All Content and Settings; at which point you can fall back on the 'from scratch' plan.

OP
M

mike2874

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No problem. Please let us know how it goes.

Twerpoet I did restore from the backup like you suggested and all was fine. After doing the restore I then deleted the backup by going to C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup and then selected the correct backup going by the date. I then went to my wife's User account and synced her iPad but don't know if all of this was necessary maybe iTunes account of the iTunes Store has no bearing on the backup.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. Good to know you got it working.

Best to use backups from the correct iPad whenever possible, or at least an iPad associated with the same iTunes account. Account information and app data is contained in the backup. Besides needing to go through every account sign-in and changing it, you might get strange results from apps that get restored with the wrong person's data.

Most reactions

Latest posts