What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost my bookmarks, any ideas to get back?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok setup iCloud account on my wife's phone.....because we have her iphone and both ipads, all the same itunes account and icloud account but she didnt want all the contacts and bookmarks that we had on the ipads...but before I set up her icloud account i started erasing some of the bookmarks that were on her iphone that came from the ipads, not realizing as I was deleting them off her phone it also took them off my iPads as well!!!ahhhhh anyway I can get my bookmarks back to my iPads?

Thanks!

baanestad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch...

I absolutely hate when that happens to me.... Is there any chance one of your devices hasn't been sync-ed yet? I know it sounds obvious, but maybe there's a way? Do you possibly have those bookmarks anywhere else, like on your pc, mac, anything that is independent from the cloud thing? I use Xmarks with firefox and I have to say I would have gone mad without it. I keep all my bookmarks/favorites there, for yeaaaars, and I can access them anywhere, anytime... And with the app for the iPad, I can easily read them if I want to. I also have "read it later", but I'm paranoid and like to have backups of the backups, just in case something like this happens. I hope you are able to recover that, but I'd recommend a backup system for your bookmarks as well... Maybe create an "iPad" folder on your browser's "favorites" and copy them all there? This syncing thing always messes up with my contacts, both on the iPhone and iPad. I don't know how to merge all of them with outlook, it always overrides regardless of what I tell it to do! :( Good luck there.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. Because you deleted them from the iPhone, it automatically erased them from all of the other devices linked to that iTunes account.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
baanestad said:
I absolutely hate when that happens to me.... Is there any chance one of your devices hasn't been sync-ed yet? I know it sounds obvious, but maybe there's a way? Do you possibly have those bookmarks anywhere else, like on your pc, mac, anything that is independent from the cloud thing? I use Xmarks with firefox and I have to say I would have gone mad without it. I keep all my bookmarks/favorites there, for yeaaaars, and I can access them anywhere, anytime... And with the app for the iPad, I can easily read them if I want to. I also have "read it later", but I'm paranoid and like to have backups of the backups, just in case something like this happens. I hope you are able to recover that, but I'd recommend a backup system for your bookmarks as well... Maybe create an "iPad" folder on your browser's "favorites" and copy them all there? This syncing thing always messes up with my contacts, both on the iPhone and iPad. I don't know how to merge all of them with outlook, it always overrides regardless of what I tell it to do! :( Good luck there.

Yea it sucks this is how u have to learn what not to do! Naw I don't have any backups of bookmarks...however I've only sync my wifes iphone since then and not either ipad. Not sure if that'll help...but I guess its a Nope like the second response

baanestad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But wait!

If you still have the bookmarks on the iPads, I'm sure you can back them up and then load them to your iPhone! Just back up your iPaD(s) as you normally would, and go through the sync options when you connect your phone to the computer! I'm also thinking - I know there is another way for you to "export" the bookmarks from the iPads - then you import them to the phone.

Have you lost the data on the iPad as well? You said you haven't "sync-ed" the iPads... So I'm not sure. If you still have the data on the iPad, just try what I told you... If you don't have it, and you haven't synchronized it since the accident, you probably still have a copy in your backup files on iTunes - same with the phone, btw. There should be a backup file in iTunes. Make sure you disable "automatic sync" for all devices and try it out! ;) I had to search my computer for the backup folder though... Just type "backup" on your search thing and it'll find it for you.

I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, I haven't been here since then. :)

Let us know if you had any luck!

Last edited:

baanestad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PS: I also unchecked everything on the iTunes that says they'll all sync and have the same info... All our devices. Because I KNOW this will happen to me over and over again and I'll keep losing my stuff, lol. It's just Murphy's Law that loves me... I don't even sync the device automatically when I plug it in.

Open iTunes without connecting the phone or iPad, go to preferences, tell it to not sync automatically (none of the devices), then you go ahead and back up your iPad. But if it starts to sync, just cancel it quickly! I was having trouble with my iPad getting stuck while syncing, so I erased absolutely everything from it, reset the whole thing, then through the back up file, I was able to copy back only what I wanted... So I'm pretty sure this will work for you. :)

Last edited:

Nicolah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am only using an iPad and bookmarks in safari have suddenly disappeared and I can't bookmark anything. Help please. I have searched everything in settings with no luck.

debear6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nicolah did anyone help you. Same happened to me.

Debear6

rfrench

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nicolah said:
I am only using an iPad and bookmarks in safari have suddenly disappeared and I can't bookmark anything. Help please. I have searched everything in settings with no luck.

Just happened to me, did any give you any help on how to solve this problem?

Most reactions