What's new
Apple iPad Forum šŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Cord To iPad

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since I canā€™t install the wireless printer because I canā€™t get the software to my iPad , I had an idea. Can I use the usb cord from my printer to my iPad? Iā€™m assuming that an adapter would need to be on the end of the usb connector to fit into my iPad 8 pin connection. If Iā€™m right, can I buy this adapter from the Apple Store or Amazon?

If Iā€™m wrong, then I canā€™t use the new printer and am in deep doo-doo.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad doesnā€™t support wired printing.
Thereā€™s an app for many printers to print wirelessly, if AirPrint isnā€™t available.

Which printer do you own?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As already stated by Johanna, we need to know both the brand & model of your printer and whether AirPrint is supported (review the link's list of compatible printers) - in my case, I have a Canon Pixma IJ printer and a Brother B&W laser printer - both support AirPrint, so I can simply select to print from my iPad, pick the printer to use, and walk to the computer room and the printed material is waiting. Dave :)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you both. I have an HP LaserJet Pro M102 received on Saturday. I canā€™t install the software on my iPad so thought Iā€™d use the usb cord. But if I canā€™t use a wire for the iPad, Iā€™ll have to return this printer after weeks of research. No one said that the app would be impossible to install:(

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you both. I have an HP LaserJet Pro M102 received on Saturday. I canā€™t install the software on my iPad so thought Iā€™d use the usb cord. But if I canā€™t use a wire for the iPad, Iā€™ll have to return this printer after weeks of research. No one said that the app would be impossible to install:(

Well, in all honesty, you never clearly asked about how to print from an iPad before purchasing a printer - we could have given you advice - my first questions would have been whether you have a computer (and if so what brand, model, and OS installed, whether a Mac, PC, or other); and also whether you had a home Wi-Fi network which would be needed to use Apple's AirPrint technology. For the time being, you can check HP's KB HERE to see if there is a solution; otherwise post back w/ a more thorough explanation of your 'computer setup' - Dave :)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, in all honesty, you never clearly asked about how to print from an iPad before purchasing a printer - we could have given you advice - my first questions would have been whether you have a computer (and if so what brand, model, and OS installed, whether a Mac, PC, or other); and also whether you had a home Wi-Fi network which would be needed to use Apple's AirPrint technology. For the time being, you can check HP's KB HERE to see if there is a solution; otherwise post back w/ a more thorough explanation of your 'computer setup' - Dave :)

I didnā€™t mean you guys were not helpful. I asked in the HP forums for help. My printer was defective and I found out too late to return it.

I followed your link last night and I canā€™t install the printer. Iā€™m can give more details if youā€™d like.

Iā€™m using my iPad 2 and my laptop is Windows but I havenā€™t used it since 2018. Long story but disability issues are the reason.

Iā€™m on WiFi but the router is not in my room. The connection is pretty strong but Iā€™m among trees and woods. My iPhone connection is spotty at times due to the trees.

Id love to keep the printer but canā€™t install it on the iPad. If you want more information please ask. But yā€™all didnā€™t give me bad advice!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your printer is AirPrint compatible. Connect it to the same Wi-Fi network as the iPad, then it should be possible to print.

HP LaserJet Pro - Set up, Install, and Configure AirPrint | HPĀ® Customer Support
You donā€˜t need every step in this article. What you really need, is step two, and maybe five. Thereā€˜s no need to install the printer on the iPad.

All you have to do when printing, is:
Print from iPad

Theoretically it works. My printer was turned on (I was naked) and when I hit Print on the screen, it found no printer. Technically the WiFi was working since I was online.

See why I was so frustrated? If yā€™all have more tips Iā€™ll try them. Tomorrow afternoon Iā€™ll have a CNA plug in and turn on the printer. Iā€™ll try to print from my iPad and iPhone. Then Iā€™ll check email for an update here. Thank you

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My printer needs a few seconds until my iPad can detect it. Did you try printing immediately after turning on the printer? If so, wait a few seconds, then try it again.

Make sure both devices, iPad and printer, are connected to the same Wi-Fi.

Thereā€˜s also an app for compatible printers:
ā€ŽHP Smart

I do hope yours is supported as well, I was searching but didnā€˜t find anything.

If you need help with the app:
HP Smart

Last edited:
OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My printer needs a few seconds until my iPad can detect it. Did you try printing immediately after turning on the printer? If so, wait a few seconds, then try it again.

ā€ŽHP Smart

I do hope yours is supported as well, I was searching but didnā€˜t find anything.

HP Smart

I waited a while for my iPad to detect the printer. Iā€™m sure my printer is supported as itā€™s on the list.

Today I was going to plug in the printer and see if it was seen. Circumstances didnā€™t allow it to happen. Tomorrow Iā€™ll do it. Iā€™m not unplugging the old printer but instead will plug in the new printer about six feet away and then check my iPad. The CNAs arenā€™t too happy with unplugging and swapping the printer. Iā€™ll make it easier for them, and me, too

Thank you

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, Iā€™m getting my iPad on Monday from China. I have a feeling that the pandemic will delay it. Meanwhile, I have to buy the cord and adapter.

So ... I need a six foot cord for the iPad and the adapter. Iā€™ve looked at the Apple Store but am not seeing the right cord because Iā€™m not sure which one to buy.

My iPad comes with a shorter cord and I need the longer version. I think yā€™all said that the plug is for an 8 pin end. So I need the 8 pin cord in six foot length. The adapter then is for that cord. The other end of the cord is usb and I have a usb-to-wall plug adapter

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score

ā€ŽHP Smart

HP Smart

The printer is being returned. I left it on for a while but it never connected to me WiFi. They followed your instructions and read online directions but this printer doesnā€™t want to connect.

Iā€™m looking at others and will post here when I find one.

Thank you

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So, Iā€™m getting my iPad on Monday from China. I have a feeling that the pandemic will delay it. Meanwhile, I have to buy the cord and adapter.

So ... I need a six foot cord for the iPad and the adapter. Iā€™ve looked at the Apple Store but am not seeing the right cord because Iā€™m not sure which one to buy.

My iPad comes with a shorter cord and I need the longer version. I think yā€™all said that the plug is for an 8 pin end. So I need the 8 pin cord in six foot length. The adapter then is for that cord. The other end of the cord is usb and I have a usb-to-wall plug adapter

Hello again Pinkipad2 - your iPad (assume ordered from Apple online?) will come w/ both a 12W charger (first pic below, Source) and a 'short' cable like the one below, 2nd pic (Source), i.e. USB-A male connector for the charger & a 8-pin lightning connector for the iPad (my charging cable for the iPad Pro has USB-C connectors @ both ends). As to a longer cable (e.g. 6 ft), Apple has a variety HERE; there are also plenty cables offered elsewhere, such as on Amazon - just make sure that their description(s) include MFi certified - plenty of 'dud' cables out there, usually at cheap prices. Dave :)
Charge1.png
Charge2.png

Most reactions

Latest posts