What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading to 4.02 Now ipad driver wont install

tobybarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad and Windows Vista.

Downloaded and installed new itunes, then asked it to upgrade to 4.02. All seemed OK until I noticed iPad had the "connect to itunes" logo displayed and Windows was trying and failing to install the driver for it.

If I go into device manager and locate the Apple USB driver, it has an exclamation mark on it. Updating the driver leads me to an error box saying

"Apple Recover (iBoot) USB driver - Driver is not intended for this platform"

What do I need to do to get the iPad back?!?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed in your PC? If not that might be the issue it said you had to have the latest version to update.

Knowing how Apple will nag you to update, I imagine that probably is not the situation. It's Apple's update, if you had everything correct I'd say go to the Apple Store and see what they can do for you. Good luck.

OP
T

tobybarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it is the latest and "greatest". Just tried uninstalling and installing again, no change.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it is the latest and "greatest". Just tried uninstalling and installing again, no change.

I know the answer to your question as something similar happened to me. Apple maintains an online forum for the iPad that answers questions like this. I posted my observations there yesterday. It is not a super simple fix but if you follow my post you will understand the working relationship of Apple Software to Windows better and can handle future problems quickly from reading that post.

You must work through the problem step by step in the proper order or you are screwed!

Apple - Support - Discussions - iPad not recognized in Windows 7 ...

OP
T

tobybarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped.

Before seeing your replies I decided to plug the iPad into my wife's laptop, to see if that would make the pad spring to life. On her PC, iTunes said somethng about the iPad being locked and that it would have to be factory reset. I allowed it to do so and the iPad eventually came back to life.

So, I then re-attached it to my PC and lo and behold, Windows recognised it. So, the long and the short of it is, I am now back up and running with the new OS.

I can only assume that in its locked state (whatever that is) the iPad was not talking to the driver Windows was trying to install for it, hence the odd messages coming out of Windows.

Thanks again.

Most reactions

Latest posts